Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 PM EST
This is a pretty big deal for our once prominent but now mysteriously dormant Philly Phan readership around these parts:
#Phillies broadcasters Chris Wheeler, Sarge Matthews out. My story upcoming.
— Rob Maaddi (@RobMaaddi) January 8, 2014
It wasn’t often that I listened to Wheeler and Sarge — if I was watching the Phillies it was usually because someone else I wanted to see was playing them, so I’d use the opposing team’s broadcast — but they weren’t my favorite broadcasters ever. That said: they were far from the worst. Very far from it. And there are a good number of pretty bad broadcasters out there.
Maybe Philly broadcasters get better. But it’s also possible they get worse. So, if you’re the sort of Phillies fan who is inspired to cheer this news, don’t assume everything is gonna be rosy later.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (273)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)