Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
This is a pretty big deal for our once prominent but now mysteriously dormant Philly Phan readership around these parts:
#Phillies broadcasters Chris Wheeler, Sarge Matthews out. My story upcoming.
— Rob Maaddi (@RobMaaddi) January 8, 2014
It wasn’t often that I listened to Wheeler and Sarge — if I was watching the Phillies it was usually because someone else I wanted to see was playing them, so I’d use the opposing team’s broadcast — but they weren’t my favorite broadcasters ever. That said: they were far from the worst. Very far from it. And there are a good number of pretty bad broadcasters out there.
Maybe Philly broadcasters get better. But it’s also possible they get worse. So, if you’re the sort of Phillies fan who is inspired to cheer this news, don’t assume everything is gonna be rosy later.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)