Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
This is a pretty big deal for our once prominent but now mysteriously dormant Philly Phan readership around these parts:
#Phillies broadcasters Chris Wheeler, Sarge Matthews out. My story upcoming.
— Rob Maaddi (@RobMaaddi) January 8, 2014
It wasn’t often that I listened to Wheeler and Sarge — if I was watching the Phillies it was usually because someone else I wanted to see was playing them, so I’d use the opposing team’s broadcast — but they weren’t my favorite broadcasters ever. That said: they were far from the worst. Very far from it. And there are a good number of pretty bad broadcasters out there.
Maybe Philly broadcasters get better. But it’s also possible they get worse. So, if you’re the sort of Phillies fan who is inspired to cheer this news, don’t assume everything is gonna be rosy later.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)