Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
This is a pretty big deal for our once prominent but now mysteriously dormant Philly Phan readership around these parts:
#Phillies broadcasters Chris Wheeler, Sarge Matthews out. My story upcoming.
— Rob Maaddi (@RobMaaddi) January 8, 2014
It wasn’t often that I listened to Wheeler and Sarge — if I was watching the Phillies it was usually because someone else I wanted to see was playing them, so I’d use the opposing team’s broadcast — but they weren’t my favorite broadcasters ever. That said: they were far from the worst. Very far from it. And there are a good number of pretty bad broadcasters out there.
Maybe Philly broadcasters get better. But it’s also possible they get worse. So, if you’re the sort of Phillies fan who is inspired to cheer this news, don’t assume everything is gonna be rosy later.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)