Brad Lidge turns down chance to be Phillies’ announcer

Jan 9, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

lidge and matthews

UPDATE: So much for that. Lidge told Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News that the Phillies reached out to him about joining the broadcast team but he turned them down because “the timing right now is tough.”

==========

CSN Philly cleared the Phillies’ broadcast booth by letting go of both play-by-play man Chris Wheeler and analyst Gary Matthews. No word yet on who might replace Wheeler, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today says the analyst job could go to Brad Lidge if he wants it.

Back in August the annual Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) convention was in Philadelphia and I actually saw a panel discussion featuring both Lidge and Matthews (as shown in that picture). Lidge stole the show, telling a bunch of funny stories and generally just being very charming and interesting.

During the audience question part someone asked him about possibly joining the Phillies’ broadcast team and I remember thinking the exchange was kind of awkward with Matthews sitting right next to him. Turns out less than six months later Lidge might be replacing Matthews.

1. deathmonkey41 - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Just throwing this out there- Put Mitch Williams and Lenny Dystra in the booth together.

• cur68 - Jan 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Watching Mitch Williams, who has stayed in playing shape, beat the living crap out of Lenny “The Decline of Man” Dykstra would make me very happy. Very happy indeed.

• jeromez48 - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Who wants to bet Dykstra can’t stay out of jail?

2. greymares - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I could be just as happy with the video feed, no audio necessary.

3. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Three words: Ri-cky Bo

Mark my word, the job will be his

• ochospantalones - Jan 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM

He’d be better than Wheeler, but I hope they go a different direction. Ricky Bo is ok in the studio, but he’s pretty boring, never really heard him offer much insight. Taking a chance on Lidge sounds good to me, he was always a thoughtful guy in interviews, not overly prone to spouting cliches.

• imthewiz77 - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Ricky Bo frequents a bar that I work at and let me say he may be the biggest prick in the tri-state area. If they put him in the booth he won’t last a season before being booted for saying something offensive.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM

You may be right – at a minimum, he will have to tone it down or get booted. Frankly, I am not advocating for him. I am predicting it, though

4. twpguy1964 - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I’d rather listen to an axe murder in progress then listen to Wheeler, He’s TERRIBLE! Please Philadelphia bring Todd Kalas back to Philly so he can carry the legacy of his father here.

5. eagles512 - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:05 PM

McCarthy is the main problem-worst play by play guy in baseball.

• jeromez48 - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I don’t know if he is the worst, but he’s among the worst. A generic voice, no style, below average baseball knowledge and generally BORING!!!

6. eagles512 - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Bottalico is too bitter and boring.

7. knowthefacts215 - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Please get rid of “oppo boppo” McCarthy always drowns out the crowd when something big happens during a game with his loud and annoying voice….glad wheeler is gone but now I don’t know who is going to tell me what the players are thinking, kinda liked sarge he was different and brought humor by his miscues. Lidge is very intelligent and is funny would like him in there and see how he does, but if I had a choice I would want Franski and L A only if there was a cloning machine. They are the best since Harry and Whitey left us

8. jeromez48 - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM

L.A. and McCarthy need to go, too. The only one with any talent is Franske. This is Philly, not some backwater town. We need well-versed, well-spoken announcers.

9. knowthefacts215 - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Dude L A is the one of the best radio color guys, he is absolutely hilarious…know your stuff before you post non sense

10. imthewiz77 - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I would love to see Kruk do it but there’s no way he gives up his current gig to do play by play. I actually think Chris Coste has been very good in his role as an analyst.

11. ackid47 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I got it. bring in merrill and mike.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug