Jan 9, 2014, 11:11 AM EST
UPDATE: So much for that. Lidge told Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News that the Phillies reached out to him about joining the broadcast team but he turned them down because “the timing right now is tough.”
CSN Philly cleared the Phillies’ broadcast booth by letting go of both play-by-play man Chris Wheeler and analyst Gary Matthews. No word yet on who might replace Wheeler, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today says the analyst job could go to Brad Lidge if he wants it.
Back in August the annual Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) convention was in Philadelphia and I actually saw a panel discussion featuring both Lidge and Matthews (as shown in that picture). Lidge stole the show, telling a bunch of funny stories and generally just being very charming and interesting.
During the audience question part someone asked him about possibly joining the Phillies’ broadcast team and I remember thinking the exchange was kind of awkward with Matthews sitting right next to him. Turns out less than six months later Lidge might be replacing Matthews.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 31
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27