Jan 9, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
This is not the kind of offseason news the Tigers needed: Justin Verlander underwent muscle repair surgery today after injuring himself last month during offseason conditioning. It was surgery to “a core muscle” but which muscle was injured was not specified. The surgery was said to be successful, as all surgeries are on the day they are performed, it seems.
The bad news: Verlander will need about six weeks of rehab before being evaluated again. And, one presumes, before beginning any baseball activity. Pitchers and catchers for the Tigers report on February 14, so Verlander is going to be behind his teammates, even if everything goes well.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)