Jan 9, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
This is not the kind of offseason news the Tigers needed: Justin Verlander underwent muscle repair surgery today after injuring himself last month during offseason conditioning. It was surgery to “a core muscle” but which muscle was injured was not specified. The surgery was said to be successful, as all surgeries are on the day they are performed, it seems.
The bad news: Verlander will need about six weeks of rehab before being evaluated again. And, one presumes, before beginning any baseball activity. Pitchers and catchers for the Tigers report on February 14, so Verlander is going to be behind his teammates, even if everything goes well.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)