Justin Verlander underwent surgery after tearing a muscle while conditioning

Jan 9, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT

justin verlander getty Getty Images

This is not the kind of offseason news the Tigers needed: Justin Verlander underwent muscle repair surgery today after injuring himself last month during offseason conditioning. It was surgery to “a core muscle” but which muscle was injured was not specified. The surgery was said to be successful, as all surgeries are on the day they are performed, it seems.

The bad news: Verlander will need about six weeks of rehab before being evaluated again. And, one presumes, before beginning any baseball activity. Pitchers and catchers for the Tigers report on February 14, so Verlander is going to be behind his teammates, even if everything goes well.

1. unclemosesgreen - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM

If rehab goes as planned his first CG should be delayed until the beginning of May.

• historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Another lousy April…

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Here’s hopin! Also, as someone already said, I hope next season is a repeat. ;)

2. Reflex - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Geez, and they just delt away Fister. This is a terrible offseason for the Tigers and I feel for Historio. This team needed very minor tweaks to repeat and instead its been upended.

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 9, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Smyly pitched pretty well as a starter in ’12 so shouldn’t be too dramatic of a dropoff from Fister to Smyly, plus DET does need a lefty in the rotation.

3. rbj1 - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I thought I heard a scream coming down I-75. I hope he needs a rehab start in Toledo.

4. historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• stex52 - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Thirty-two minutes to respond, philiac? Reflexes off today? :-)

• historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Please, I retweeted it on Twitter an hour ago and sent HBT a nasty-gram to lay off the HoF drama long enough to run the story. I’ve lapped y’all.

• cur68 - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Oh relax. Its the off season. Time for surgery. He’s not like the Beaver Pitching staff. They get their surgery DURING the season. Usually its an operation to find their slider or curve ball. Perhaps a minor procedure for hanging pitches in the zone. But, more often than not, its “find the ends of my ucl” surgery. JV, being a class act and a total pro, gets these things out of the way BEFORE there are games. He’ll be fine. So long as its not his dog walking arm, of course. He’s got a friend to look after, y’know.

• historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM

But he won’t be ready by V-D!!!! :( My stalking plans are ruined!

• Reflex - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM

…as are mine…

• cur68 - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Y’all can join the line I’m in, then.

• historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Wait, did I just score a double-date?

5. Tim OShenko - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Definition of a successful surgery: Patient didn’t die and surgeon didn’t lose his wristwatch

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I’d consider batting .500 to be pretty successful.

Doctors and their impossibly high standards….

6. tfbuckfutter - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

“Pff….core muscle? Pitchers don’t need core muscles.”

-CC Sabathia

• historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

/sobs

7. Minoring In Baseball - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:08 AM

I’m glad the surgery went well, and I wish him a fast recovery. The important thing is that he’ll be healthy for most of the season, the long haul. As long as the physical therapy goes well, I don’t think he’ll be that far behind once he gets going on the mound.

8. fnc111 - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Yes!!!!!! Hopefully the Tigers fail again.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3390)