Yankees among teams monitoring Johan Santana

Jan 9, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT

Johan Santana Getty Getty Images

The Twins are reportedly interested in a reunion with two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, but they are going to have plenty of competition to sign him.

Confirming reports from last month, Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger hears that the Yankees are among several teams monitoring the progress of Santana. Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reported earlier this week that at least a dozen teams have checked in.

Santana is currently rehabbing from his second anterior capsule surgery. The veteran southpaw has yet to throw off a mound this winter, but he could audition for scouts near his home in Fort Myers, Florida before spring training. He’ll turn 35 in March.

The Yankees are focused on Masahiro Tanaka at the moment, but they’ll likely need to add another starting pitcher if he ends up signing elsewhere. McCullough hears that the team’s interest in Matt Garza, Ubaldo Jimenez and Ervin Santana is limited, so Santana could be worth the gamble if he looks good during his throwing sessions. That’s obviously far from a given at this stage.

1. johnnysoda - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I feel like the Yankees are trying their best to be a caricature of themselves.

2. NYTolstoy - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM

If A rod gets anywhere from the 70-100 games people have been talking about they can go after Santana at around 10 14 million this year and still be under the cap. Though chances of him getting hurt is high and that would leave the Yankees right back where they started, in the crap hole.

• uyf1950 - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Forget the Yankees being under the luxury tax threshold this year. As it stands right now with everything included and not counting on A-Rod at all (no salary for A-Rod) the Yankees payroll based on AAV including the 40 man roster, incentives and benefits charged by MLB their payroll is just about $185.5MM. Any additions at this point will put them over the $189MM tax threshold.

• Joe - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Santana’s not getting anywhere near $10 million, if he gets a big league contract at all.

• braxtonrob - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:15 AM

@NYTolstoy, “10-14 million” LOL, you’re funny!
      You really don’t understand how ‘re-entry’ to the league works at all, do you.

• NYTolstoy - Jan 10, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Yes I do and when guys like Dan Haran gets 10 million and josh Johnson got 8 mil. After a terrible injury plagued season I say Santana will certainly get paid. I can’t imagine him signing a minor league deal when Pitchers who proven to be terrible get 8-11 million. Santana has proven himself to be a Cy young with injuries. ..He WILL get paid.

• bigyankeemike - Jan 10, 2014 at 6:28 AM

NYTolstoy, Santana will sign a minor league deal or, at best (IF he gets a few teams in a bidding war), $1 or $2 million, please come back to the thread announcing his signing and tell everyone you were mistaken.

If he gets $10-14 million, I will do the same. I’m not worried.

• uyf1950 - Jan 10, 2014 at 6:41 AM

@ NYTolstoy, I have to disagree with you. Santana will NOT get paid out of the gate. Keep in mind Santana has not pitched an inning of baseball in 2 of the last 3 years (2011 and 2013) and he was injured a substantial part of 2012.

Sorry but considering Santana has had 2 shoulder surgeries recently and has missed most of the past 3 seasons he’ll be lucky to get any sort of deal until he can prove he’s healthy enough to pitch at all.

BTW, there is NO comparison between Santana’s injuries and Dan Haren or even Josh Johnson for that matter. Johnson pitched all of 2012 and most of 2013 missing just the last month for a strained right forearm. A strained right forearm is a whole lot LESS serious than the 2 shoulder surgeries Santana has had.

• NYTolstoy - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:43 AM

@ BigYankee. I will gladly say I’m wrong if he signs for a minor league deal or anything close to that. I just don’t see it when so many mediocre pitchers signed for nearly ten million, and Santana gets a Minor league deal? Hell even Francisco Liriano signed a 12 million dollar deal, which then fell apart because of injury. Teams have given pitchers for years big one year contracts after coming off of injury and or a terrible year Santana in my eyes is no different

@Uyf1950 I will just add though yes Johnsons injury was not huge but he still posted an era of 6.00 and above. IF a team is willing to give him 8 million to see if he can find his all- star stuff why would a team like the Yankees who desperately need a pitcher (and if infact have no interest at staying under the luxury tax) notover bid and try and drawhim to NY once more. Last year a busted down Youklis received 12 million and the Yankees realistically were hoping for 3 months of health. Petite at 40 was giving 12 million for the Year. Jeter just made 17 million. Is it really that hard that extreme to think a team wont throw 10 mil. in the hopes of him coming back to somewhat of his former shell. When the Dodgers gave Wilson 10 million and Dan Haran another 10 mil. I might be completely wrong but I will stand by it

• NYTolstoy - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I would also like to add that the Pirates gave Volquez 5 million dollars! That is an insane amount of money for a pretty terrible pitcher with recent injuries. That is why I believe a team will over pay for Santana. A lot of teams have the money to spend, so why not throw it in his direction. That would not be the first time a pitcher was over paid. I also recall a few years ago when Ben Sheets a guy who had injury after injury was given a 10 Million dollar deal by the A’s of all teams. I really don’t get why so many of you think it’s so out of the ball park. It can happen because teams have done it BEFORE.

• uyf1950 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM

@ NYTolstoy my friend, if I have to explain the difference between what and why the Yankees paid Pettitte and Jeter in 2013 versus why they won’t pay anything marginally expensive for Santana you really don’t understand the dynamics of the players involved or their injuries. That applies to Youkilis as well. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt in Youkilis’s case. Understand Youkils was an over pay no doubt but at least he had played a substantial number of games the last 7 seasons (2006 through 2012) prior to 2013, when he was signed to play for the Yankees. He played at least 120 games in all but 2010 when he played 102 games.

I don’t think you grasp the reluctance of MLB teams to sign a pitcher that has had 2 major shoulder surgeries over the past 3 years and missed an enormous amount of time. Any team that offers him more then a $1MM guaranteed ML contract is asking for trouble. As for the Yankees I am absolutely positive Brian Cashman will NOT make Santana a guaranteed contract off. The closest example I can think of with the Yankees as it might relate to a Santana signing is Colon way back in 2010. At that time Colon had not pitched for the 2 prior seasons 2008 and 2009. Colon was signed to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. He pitched very very in ST that year if anyone remembers and his guaranteed contract was only $900K. Yes he was older than Santana is now but he did not pose nearly the health risk that Santana does today with those shoulder surgeries.

Those are the facts my friend.

• braxtonrob - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM

@NYTolstoy,
        You are not the only one here who doesn’t fully understand how re-entry works, however, I am not debating with you Santana’s actual worth.
        In fact, I agree with you that he is very valuable.
        That being said, that’s simply not how the (MLB) system works (nor real life for that matter).
        Players re-entering usually only get about a 1-3 million when they make a MLB roster, and usually it’s only the former (1 mil).
        The simple fact is Santana’s comeback is in the stage of ‘potential’, and until that potential is realized he ain’t gettin’ paid squadoooosh. lol

3. nsstlfan - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I don’t think Santana gets a major league deal. I see a minor league with a spring training invite. If it is a major league deal it’ll be heavily incentive laden I believe.

• dan1111 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:25 AM

I think he’ll get a major league deal, barring injury setbacks. Yeah, it is risky, but the chance of getting Johan Santana is enough for some team to guarantee him a few million. If I were the Yankees, I would certainly do that.

• uyf1950 - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Dan, the problem with your idea about the Yankees taking advantage of Santana on a ML deal right out of the gate isn’t necessarily the dollars which by the way I don’t think he will get from the Yankees. But the problem with your theory is the Yankees roster 25 and 40 man ML rosters. Both are full and and they haven’t even officially announced the Roberts and Thornton signings because they haven’t yet made room on the roster for them.

I think Santana getting a ML deal out of the Yankees is out of the question.

• dan1111 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM

@uyf, I’m a bit skeptical about that. Are the Yankees really that crowded with talent that they couldn’t fit him in? And he would likely be on the DL until the point of actually being able to contribute, as another commenter points out.

In any case, maybe the Yankees won’t be the team, but with his history, I will be surprised if someone doesn’t give him a major league deal.

• spudchukar - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Good observation UYF.. The roster issue may well keep them from moving on Santana. A question, my friend, who do you think will go when the Roberts and Thornton signings become official?

Hard to say if Santana gets a major league deal, but I bet that is what his agent is angling for. If he gets that guarantee, I am sure it will be performance laden.

• uyf1950 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM

@ spudchukar, my guess and it’s only that is the spots the Yankees will clear to make room for Thornton and Roberts are: A-Rod when he gets suspended that would be one that’s a no brainer and I do think he will get some sort of suspension. The other spot I’m guessing will be Wells.

The next crunch time comes when the Yankees make any other additions to their roster be it a starter currently not on the 40 man roster like Tanaka or Jimenez or they add extra bullpen help perhaps Balfour. We’ll see. Of course there is the outside chance of trade in which case they wouldn’t have to clear a roster spot. A trade purely as an example of Gardner for Bailey OR Ichiro for J.J. Putz which some in the media have suggested. Both of those are just examples and purely speculation.

• uyf1950 - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM

@ spudchukar, it would appear I was right so far in one of my predictions about who the Yankees might move to clear a spot on the roster. I just read Vernon Wells was just DFA to clear a spot.

Can A-Rod be far off for the other spot?

4. uyf1950 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Santana offers some team whichever it is a very low risk and potentially high reward. He’s probably going to have to sign a minor league deal with the possibility to make the big league team on an incentive laden contract.

5. benrob99 - Jan 10, 2014 at 6:58 AM

He’ll get a ML deal. I’d look to what the pirates gave Liriano last year as a template. Except Johan has been better throughout his career, so his numbers will likely be higher.

Speaking of the Pirates… THIS is the kind of guy that you go get if you want to roll the dice. Not Edison freaking Volquez for 5 freaking million.

• TBaySlim - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Liriano had a broken arm, that is alot let serious then having 2 shoulder surgeries of which he was the first player to ever have that surgery an come back to pitch, now he had a 2nd one. uncharted territorry, i doubt he get a mlb deal….i would say compairing the liriano injury to the santant injury is not apples to apples

6. proudlycanadian - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Speaking of Santana, I was just watching a YouTube video featuring Black Magic Woman and an Ukrainian Belly Dancer. It was a great way to start the morning.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Lets talk about where he won’t go…..

1. Toronto bluejays
      2. Toronto bluegays
      3. Toronto blueballs

• proudlycanadian - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM

A very uncreative post by Filthy Harold.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM

want some cheese with that wine proudly?

• anxovies - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Canadian! Oye como va?

• proudlycanadian - Jan 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I am OK. Just got home and saw your comment.

7. nymets4ever - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Shame he’d have to get rid of that impeccable goatee.

8. cackalackyank - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I like the idea of signing him as a reclamation project. 1 million max, plus incentives and opt outs. If he hasn’t thrown off a mound yet, and will not for awhile do not need to worry about a spring training invite. I do not think the roster spot is even an issue right now if he is not even throwing of a mound yet.

• uyf1950 - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM

My friend that’s not true. A player signed to a ML contract has to be put on a teams 40 man roster. The only exception that I am aware of to that is if he’s on the 60 days DL. The problem with that for the Yankees is MLB rules prohibit a team from putting or keeping a player on the 60 day DL in the off season. So if the Yankees were to sign Santana to a ML deal he has to go on their roster until the season starts. Which would mean they would have to clear a spot until then and only then could they move him to the 60 day DL. At least that’s my understanding of the rules.

• cackalackyank - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM

OK that’s what I was wondering. If he hasn’t started throwing from a mound yet he would seem to be a candidate for the 60 day DL. However if they have to clear a spot first and then move him to the Dl it may not be worth it. Looking at the 40 man roster it really looks like the OF logjam needs to be fixed soon so some other things can be settled.

• uyf1950 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM

My friend, one spot has be taken care of. Wells is gone, DFA.

• anxovies - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:55 PM

With Wells gone that leaves his spot on the roster vacant but they are going to need 3 or 4 more gone. They have 5 catchers listed so look for Cervelli and possibly Romine to go and maybe a couple of young outfielders like Almonte and Heathcott.

9. musketmaniac - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

The buccos and volquez are going to piss people off. with the exception of Jonathan Sanchez. The buccos are making a living on retreading pitchers. send Johan to the Burgh we can fake an off-season injury, aka A.j in 2012 and Liriano last year. And have Santana fresh for mid-may.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3307)