Yasiel Puig gives up driving after latest arrest

Jan 9, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Yasiel Puig Getty Getty Images

Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig has been arrested twice over the past eight months for reckless driving. That has been enough for him to move over to the passenger seat. At least for now.

According to Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles, Puig spoke with Dodgers president Stan Kasten on Thursday and told him that he has hired his cousin to drive him around for the time being.

“I give him credit for taking that step if nothing else,” Kasten said during a radio appearance on ESPNLA 710.

Puig was arrested in Tennessee back in April for going 97 mph in a 50 mph zone. The reckless driving and speeding charges were dismissed after he performed community service. His latest arrest came last month in Florida after he was clocked for going 110 mph in a 70 mph zone. One would like to think that Puig has enough willpower to control himself on the road moving forward, but this is one way to ensure that it won’t happen again. As a millionaire athlete, he can afford that luxury.

1. rbj1 - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Smart move.

• bigdicktater - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I feel safer already.

• mick2014 - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:24 PM

This is a tactic to have the judge go easy on him, only a sucker would fall for it. Throw him in jail for 6 months!

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Smart move, although he likely would have had this decision made for him eventually anyways. But it’s always good to see someone admit they have a problem and take steps to prevent it in the future. It’s one of the marks of an adult. Sure what he did was stupid and silly, but at least he recognizes the problem at hand.

The amount of wealthy citizens who get into trouble for offenses behind the wheel boggle my mind. If I were that wealthy the FIRST thing I would do would be to hire myself a personal driver. It’s just not a risk that’s worth taking. I completely understand that driving is fun, and there’s nothing stopping you from driving yourself on occasion, but avoiding all traffic offenses including, but not limited to alcohol offenses is a very prudent move.

• sabatimus - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM

If this is what Puig has to do, then yeah. Or he could wind up killing himself or someone else on the road. If he simply can’t stop speeding at criminal levels, this is a good step.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

“The amount of wealthy citizens who get into trouble for offenses behind the wheel boggle my mind. If I were that wealthy the FIRST thing I would do would be to hire myself a personal driver.”

Well… it’s not like he was driving drunk. He was driving fast. Which is what people with fast cars tend to do.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM

He was driving EXTREMELY fast, at excess speeds that are incredibly dangerous to both himself and others on the road. Legally defined as driving recklessly. Yea, that’s not at all similar to a person driving drunk.

3. cur68 - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Some credit to that cop that hauled in the pink shorted Puig, too. He pretty much read him the riot act over it. If I recall, he indicated in no uncertain terms how many people Puig had endangered with his, Puig’s, driving and then proceeded to ignore the whole “I’m an LA Dodger Baseball Player” routine. Handcuffing him and hauling him off to the pokey further reinforced the point: “Don’t break the law in your fancy car, son.” That bogus slap on the wrist he got away with the first time he was caught speeding did nothing to stop him. This did.

Good for Puig taking this step, too. Kid’s an amazing ballplayer. It was evident to me from the first moment I laid eyes on him that he was going to be a beast of a hitter. With any luck, he’ll go on to have a long and accolade filled career free of vehicular homicide and/or an early death in a crash.

• manhandler1 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Hopefully, this guy will eventually grow up. He’s acted pretty juvenile so far…both on and off the field.

4. historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM

1. I’m pretty sure Mama had a hand in this decision.

2. Was Karsten’s comment a backhanded compliment or what?

3. Has Puig agreed to give up the pink shorts? I hope he gets a year of fashion probation for those things.

• clydeserra - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I am failing to see the problem with the pink shorts. Are people complaining because tehy are a “girls” color?
      There wasn;t anything wrong with the shorts

• historiophiliac - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:46 PM

They most certainly not girls shorts. My shorts are *coral*.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM

They were pretty bold. I guess others are jealous they can’t pull it off.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM

I’m reserving my judgment. What if the cousin in question is the next Yuri Secart?

5. kraa0901 - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM

How bout give up being a dumb ass? Just a thought….

• apkyletexas - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Maybe he could hire his cousin to be the dumbass.

6. jre80 - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM

^ Agree. This guys not even smart enough to drive. Dumbass

• sabatimus - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM

He’s apparently smart enough to recognize he has a problem and take a prudent step that should help him and others on the road stay alive for a while longer.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Or his lawyer or agent are smart enough to advise him to take a step that might keep the judge from filling the book with lead sinkers before throwing it at his head.

• jdillydawg - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Which would make him smart enough to listen to his advisors who are offering sound advice.

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Which probably means that his advisers explained it to him in Spanish this time.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I’m with OG on this one – Puig was probably facing Maximum Bob.

7. drewzducks - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I hear Al Cowlings is available to drive.

8. tuberippin - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Love all these full-of-something commenters. We dump all over professional athletes for getting speeding tickets, DUIs, and DWIs when they’re wealthy enough to hire someone to drive for them so they can avoid getting into more trouble than they need. Now we have an athlete who is actually taking such a step, and people on here are calling him stupid.. You can’t have it both ways, folks. I’d much rather an athlete (stupid, smart, or in between) takes the initiative. Would it be nice if it was pre-emptive? Certainly. But that’s wishful thinking more often than not.

• kellyb9 - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Normally, I’d agree with you, but driving 98 in a 50 and 110 in a 70? This was team/agent/lawyer mandated… I highly doubt the same guy who had the “good” judgement to (almost) literally double the speed limit is simply deciding he has a problem.

I mean lets be honest… This isn’t just a speeding ticket, it’s criminal, and its every bit as bad as driving under the influence due to the inherent danger you’re causing to other drivers on the road. His driving privledges should have been revoked the first time (by the state).

• juicejuicer - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM

You could be right. I could absolutely be a mandate from one of his handlers. But, I’d like to point out that on the arrest video, when he’s in the patrol car, you can hear him mutter to himself in spanish that he’s never driving again. He says it multiple times, infact.

• tuberippin - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I agree with the latter. I don’t know that they necessarily revoked the man’s license, even though they more than likely should have given his reckless abandon behind the wheel. Famous people get away with a lot more than the rest of us.

9. thegreatstoneface - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:59 PM

yes. you’ve done good yasiel. you haven’t and can’t develop the self discipline to drive in a safe and correct legal manner.

you hire your cousin. not alex rodriguez’ cousin. your own.

good.

uh. really?

• jdillydawg - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Yeah. Really.

Or are you suggesting he should have hired A-Rod’s cousin? Is he a professional driver? Does he drive other players too? If he hired him, wouldn’t that leave A-Rod without a driver?

10. theeperspective - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Mom: Give me your keys!
    Puig: No!
    Mom: Should I add no video games and no sleepovers as well?!
    Puig: Fine! I can’t stand you! ::Slams bedroom door::

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Children are horrible.

• zzalapski - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Not if you add butter.

• jwbiii - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Mmm. . . Kinderwurst!

• km9000 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

But Puig needs the car to go to Tosche Station and pick up some power converters.

11. delusionalcardsfan - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I will never understand why more professional athletes don’t do this. Spread the live to someone in the family and always have a DD on the spot!

12. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM

in other news jays gm AA has given up signing free agents after what happened last off season……back to you fred for tomorrow’s weather…..

• dirtyharry1971smissingbrain - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:09 PM

groan

WILL YOU CUT IT OUT!!!!!????

THIS is why you have an empty head right now! This stuff right here! Why do you have to embarrass us like this? This is why you are alone, you know. This is why the rest of the family shuns you. You are an unpleasant, antisocial, son of a bitch. You have been your whole life. You are going to finish up, alone, Unabomber Manifesto half written, stinking of your own filth in an abandoned building if you keep this up. You want to end up like Gollum or something? DO YOU??

Do you honestly think hiding on the internet and being a drooling moron is a healthy way to spend your life? Stop me if I sound like mom here ok? But there was a reason she said this stuff to you over and over. BECAUSE ITS TRUE YOU HALFWIT!!! Grow up!

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:27 AM

The short answer is, yes, he believes that being a drooling moron is a healthy way to spend his life. I doubt that this is the only place where he’s a drooling moron anyway.

• dirtyharry1971smissingbrain - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Mom used to give him hell for this stuff. She’s dead now. At least she doesn’t have to see this stuff still going on.

• nobodyimportant00 - Jan 11, 2014 at 4:31 AM

!

13. imthedudedude - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Sounds like a quitter…

14. ch0psuey - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:01 AM

To the bus Rook’ !

15. 27xwschamps - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:49 AM

Like the RED ROCKER says, “I cant drive 55″ . One foot on the brake, one the gas. Post my face wanted dead or alive !!!

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I bought a brand-new air-mobile
      It’s custom-made, ’twas a Flight De Ville
      With a pow’ful motor and some hideaway wings
      Push in on the button and you can hear her sing

Now you can’t catch me, baby you can’t catch me
      ‘Cause if you get too close, you know I’m gone gone gone like a cool breeze

New Jersey Turnpike in the wee wee hours
      I was rollin’ slowly ’cause of drizzlin’ showers
      Here come a flat-top, he was movin’ up with me
      Then come wavin’ by me in a little’ old souped-up jitney
      I put my foot on my tank and I began to roll
      Moanin’ siren, ’twas the state patrol
      So I let out my wings and then I blew my horn
      Bye bye New Jersey, I’ve become airborne

Now you can’t catch me, baby you can’t catch me
      ‘Cause if you get too close, you know I’m gone gone gone like a cool breeze

Flyin’ with my baby last Saturday night
      Not a gray cloud floatin’ in sight
      Big full moon shinin’ up above
      Cuddle up honey, be my love

Sweetest little thing I have ever seen
      I’m gonna name you Maybellene
      Flyin’ on the beam, set on flight control
      Radio tuned to rock ‘n’ roll
      Two, three hours passed us by
      Five to two dropped to 5:05
      Fuel consumption way too fast
      Let’s get on home before we run out of gas

Well you can’t catch me, baby you can’t catch me
      ‘Cause if you get too close, you know I’m gone gone gone like a cool breeze

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Thumbing down Chuck Berry. What is this world coming to?

16. Dougy Fresh - Jan 10, 2014 at 5:41 AM

The sooner he kills himself driving like a maniac, the better, he is a worthless punk

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 10, 2014 at 8:20 AM

You’re an idiot – go give yourself a swirly – I’m too busy at the moment.

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Night trolls.

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM

A…swirly? Does it spin the same way in both hemispheres?

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM

It does not, sir – you all too quickly apprehended my bad intentions.

17. midjerseyfatcat - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:27 AM

The only thing that will slow him down is a Chris Christi State of New Jersey self created traffic jam. There are fewer times when you clearly have two choices. One is to have a long and very fruitful baseball career or kill yourself or others by doing something very stupid. The choice is clearly his.

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I’ve been looking for some sort of opportunity to goof on fat sloppy Republicans all week, but since you beat me to it, I’ll refer instead to that photo of the formerly Christlike Christie and Bridget Kelly at some inspection or something wherein she’s looking over her shoulder in the direction of the photographer with a look on her face that would make the viper woman from Lair of the White Worm cringe. You’d think he snapped them coming out of a motel room.

18. yahmule - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Speeding is fun and it saves time. People who suck at it spoil it for everyone else.

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM

That’s why Scotty always came up with one less warp factor than he was asked for.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win