Jan 9, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
The Hall of Fame vote always occasions criticism of the BBWAA, and like most years, there is legitimate criticism to be made. But dudes, we have to remember how far the BBWAA has come in just the past five years or so.
Remember this one? It’s the voting results for the 2008 NL Rookie of the year award. Pay special attention to the fourth place finisher:
Yep, Edinson Volquez. Who received three second place votes. Even though he was not actually a rookie. I repeat: NOT A ROOKIE IN 2008. He pitched 20 games in the bigs across three seasons before then.
So, yes, it stinks that Craig Biggio didn’t get in and it stinks that Mike Mussina didn’t get good support and it stinks that people have submitted lame protest votes. But at least, oh, I dunno, David Wright didn’t get three Hall of Fame votes.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)