Jan 9, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
The Hall of Fame vote always occasions criticism of the BBWAA, and like most years, there is legitimate criticism to be made. But dudes, we have to remember how far the BBWAA has come in just the past five years or so.
Remember this one? It’s the voting results for the 2008 NL Rookie of the year award. Pay special attention to the fourth place finisher:
Yep, Edinson Volquez. Who received three second place votes. Even though he was not actually a rookie. I repeat: NOT A ROOKIE IN 2008. He pitched 20 games in the bigs across three seasons before then.
So, yes, it stinks that Craig Biggio didn’t get in and it stinks that Mike Mussina didn’t get good support and it stinks that people have submitted lame protest votes. But at least, oh, I dunno, David Wright didn’t get three Hall of Fame votes.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)