Jan 10, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reports some bad news for Rangers fans on Twitter: lefty starter Derek Holland injured his left knee in a fall at home and earlier today underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage. Fraley adds that Holland is likely out until mid-season.
Fraley spoke to GM Jon Daniels, who said the Holland injury won’t pressure the organization to make a move for a “big ticket” pitcher such as Japanese star Masahiro Tanaka. The Rangers will likely fill the void with an in-house option such as Robbie Ross.
Holland, 27, was a big part of the Rangers’ plans in 2014 considering his career year last season. He finished with a 3.42 ERA in 213 innings as well as a 21 percent strikeout rate and 7 percent walk rate.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)