Jan 10, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News reports some bad news for Rangers fans on Twitter: lefty starter Derek Holland injured his left knee in a fall at home and earlier today underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage. Fraley adds that Holland is likely out until mid-season.
Fraley spoke to GM Jon Daniels, who said the Holland injury won’t pressure the organization to make a move for a “big ticket” pitcher such as Japanese star Masahiro Tanaka. The Rangers will likely fill the void with an in-house option such as Robbie Ross.
Holland, 27, was a big part of the Rangers’ plans in 2014 considering his career year last season. He finished with a 3.42 ERA in 213 innings as well as a 21 percent strikeout rate and 7 percent walk rate.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (137)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)