Jan 10, 2014, 2:07 PM EST
Bob Nightengale reports that the Dodgers have “let it be known they plan to go all-out” in their attempt to sign Masahiro Tanaka. Nightengale reports that the Dodgers are saying they “certainly won’t be out-bid.”
The things you can do with a multi-billion dollar TV deal and a front office who has the freedom to do whatever it wants.
Of course Tanaka has to want to come to Los Angeles. Which, hey, it’s hard to argue that Los Angeles is a bad destination for anyone wanting to win, be famous and all of those things. But the one thing we haven’t had much reporting on since Tanaka has been posted is what he wants and where he wants to be, assuming the money is good. Is he a highest-bidder guy? Has he always wanted to be a Yankee? Or a Mariner? Or something else? There’s still some mystery to all of this in light of those sorts of questions.
But the big money is in L.A., which means the smart money is on L.A.
UPDATE: Well, this doesn’t hurt the Dodgers chances either:
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) January 10, 2014
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)