Jan 10, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale reports that the Dodgers have “let it be known they plan to go all-out” in their attempt to sign Masahiro Tanaka. Nightengale reports that the Dodgers are saying they “certainly won’t be out-bid.”
The things you can do with a multi-billion dollar TV deal and a front office who has the freedom to do whatever it wants.
Of course Tanaka has to want to come to Los Angeles. Which, hey, it’s hard to argue that Los Angeles is a bad destination for anyone wanting to win, be famous and all of those things. But the one thing we haven’t had much reporting on since Tanaka has been posted is what he wants and where he wants to be, assuming the money is good. Is he a highest-bidder guy? Has he always wanted to be a Yankee? Or a Mariner? Or something else? There’s still some mystery to all of this in light of those sorts of questions.
But the big money is in L.A., which means the smart money is on L.A.
UPDATE: Well, this doesn’t hurt the Dodgers chances either:
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) January 10, 2014
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)