Jan 10, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale reports that the Dodgers have “let it be known they plan to go all-out” in their attempt to sign Masahiro Tanaka. Nightengale reports that the Dodgers are saying they “certainly won’t be out-bid.”
The things you can do with a multi-billion dollar TV deal and a front office who has the freedom to do whatever it wants.
Of course Tanaka has to want to come to Los Angeles. Which, hey, it’s hard to argue that Los Angeles is a bad destination for anyone wanting to win, be famous and all of those things. But the one thing we haven’t had much reporting on since Tanaka has been posted is what he wants and where he wants to be, assuming the money is good. Is he a highest-bidder guy? Has he always wanted to be a Yankee? Or a Mariner? Or something else? There’s still some mystery to all of this in light of those sorts of questions.
But the big money is in L.A., which means the smart money is on L.A.
UPDATE: Well, this doesn’t hurt the Dodgers chances either:
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) January 10, 2014
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)