Jan 10, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Indians starter Justin Masterson will file for salary arbitration on Tuesday in his third and final year of arbitration eligibility. Paul Hoynes of The Plain-Dealer reports that the Indians and Masterson will discuss a multi-year extension in the days leading up to the official filing of arbitration figures.
Masterson, who turns 29 years old in March, has been inconsistent throughout his career, but has shown plenty of promise. He finished 2013 with a 3.45 ERA in 193 innings and notched three shut-outs, leading the American League. Matt Swartz’s arbitration model at MLB Trade Rumors projected Masterson to get between $9 and $10 million, and Tim Dierkes also of MLBTR suggests that an extension would cost the Indians between $13 and $17 million per season, likely over five years.
Since 2010, Masterson’s 57.1 percent ground ball rate ranks sixth in the Majors among qualified starters, trailing Derek Lowe, Tim Hudson, Jake Westbrook, Trevor Cahill, and Aaron Cook. As such, he benefits from having a solid infield defense. The Indians had one of the worst defenses in baseball in 2013, according to FanGraphs, and are returning the same cast of characters for the most part in 2014.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)