Jan 10, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Garcia was terrible for the Orioles early last season, got demoted to Triple-A, and then resurfaced in the majors with the Braves down the stretch. Overall he threw 80 innings with a 4.37 ERA and 46/17 K/BB ratio in the big leagues.
At age 37 and with a mid-80s fastball Garcia has zero upside, but he’s likely available on a minor-league deal and the Mets aren’t looking to invest much in a potential fifth starter.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)