Jan 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have signed middle infielder Alexi Casilla to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Casilla spent the 2013 season with the Orioles after they selected him off of waivers from the Twins in November 2012. In 125 plate appearances, Casilla posted a paltry .563 OPS but stole nine bases in 11 attempts and played above-average defense at second base.
Casilla suffered a concussion at the end of the 2013 season in Tampa when he collided with right fielder Nick Markakis. The Orioles declined their option on him back in November, but decided to bring him back on a low-risk deal. In the event Casilla makes the roster, he gives the Orioles middle-infield depth, particularly in the event they decide to trade shortstop J.J. Hardy.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)