Jan 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have signed middle infielder Alexi Casilla to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Casilla spent the 2013 season with the Orioles after they selected him off of waivers from the Twins in November 2012. In 125 plate appearances, Casilla posted a paltry .563 OPS but stole nine bases in 11 attempts and played above-average defense at second base.
Casilla suffered a concussion at the end of the 2013 season in Tampa when he collided with right fielder Nick Markakis. The Orioles declined their option on him back in November, but decided to bring him back on a low-risk deal. In the event Casilla makes the roster, he gives the Orioles middle-infield depth, particularly in the event they decide to trade shortstop J.J. Hardy.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)