Jan 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have signed middle infielder Alexi Casilla to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Casilla spent the 2013 season with the Orioles after they selected him off of waivers from the Twins in November 2012. In 125 plate appearances, Casilla posted a paltry .563 OPS but stole nine bases in 11 attempts and played above-average defense at second base.
Casilla suffered a concussion at the end of the 2013 season in Tampa when he collided with right fielder Nick Markakis. The Orioles declined their option on him back in November, but decided to bring him back on a low-risk deal. In the event Casilla makes the roster, he gives the Orioles middle-infield depth, particularly in the event they decide to trade shortstop J.J. Hardy.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 17
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 49
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)