Jan 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have signed middle infielder Alexi Casilla to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Casilla spent the 2013 season with the Orioles after they selected him off of waivers from the Twins in November 2012. In 125 plate appearances, Casilla posted a paltry .563 OPS but stole nine bases in 11 attempts and played above-average defense at second base.
Casilla suffered a concussion at the end of the 2013 season in Tampa when he collided with right fielder Nick Markakis. The Orioles declined their option on him back in November, but decided to bring him back on a low-risk deal. In the event Casilla makes the roster, he gives the Orioles middle-infield depth, particularly in the event they decide to trade shortstop J.J. Hardy.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 3
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)