Quote of the Day: Bryce Harper isn’t eating Del Taco every night

Jan 10, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Bryce Harper AP

Which kind of sucks, because Del Taco is pretty good, dudes. Anyway, here’s what Harper had to say about his recent claim that he’s going to be huge coming into the season:

“It was kind of crazy that everyone was going berserk about my weight,” he said. “I was 235 coming in last year and it’s not sloppy weight. I’m not fat, I look pretty good. I don’t want to say that, but I’m not gonna lie. It’s not like I’m out eating McDonalds and Del Taco every night. I eat good. My mom fixes dinner every single night.”

Man, the kids is 21 years-old. Even if he was eating McDonald’s and Del Taco every night he’d still be in great shape because that’s how 21 year-olds usually roll. The jerks. ┬áIt’s when you hit your mid-30s that everything starts to go to hell.

1. chacochicken - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I’d kill 10 men to have my mother fix dinner again.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM

you beat me to it, but in all honesty my moms sisters are still throwin it down so I can’t complain.
      RIP MOM!

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM

My mom was wonderful but cooking wasn’t her strong suit. On a good night she could burn water. And then I go marry me a British wife. Cooking in self defense became a necessity. Or maybe I just married her because her cooking, such as it is, reminded me of Mom’s. As I stand here mashing plantains, I will meditate upon this at level seven.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Based on your little story there old gasser im sure the food is a little better in the nursing home you are staying in. Too bad everything kinda tastes the same…

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:11 PM

And I can hear your mummy calling you to come take your acne medicine.

2. huskerguy - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM

His mom probably bathes him too…
    Diva

• fanofevilempire - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, hold on there bro, I do hope he isn’t living @ home but you can’t dog a guy
      because his mom is still cooking for him.

• yahmule - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Mike Trout was living in his parent’s basement as a 21 year old.

• no14mike - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Mom cooks me dinner = Diva. Got it.

• karlkolchak - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Your mom WISHES she could fix Harper’s dinner every night.

• Greg S. - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Instead, she cooks him breakfast in the morning

• asimonetti88 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Call me a diva. I’d love to have my mom cook me dinner still.

• kyzslew77 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM

This is a #strongtaek

3. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM

old gasser isn’t drinking his prune juice everynite either and that isn’t news either nor should it be

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Ah, I see our virtual village idiot has dusted off another one of his age joke cliches. Lucky they’re already there waiting for him. If he had to think about them, he’d burn another hole in his pelvic ganglion.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I left my metabolism in the steroid era

5. jarathen - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I worked at Del Taco for six months as my first job. Making all the burgers, fries, quesadillas, chicken, and steak is too much work at minimum wage.

I can say that I only have one gross story, though, so hey, at least it was relatively clean to eat there.

6. yahmule - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I eat very little fast food, but the shrimp tacos, which are a seasonal item from Del Taco, are shockingly good.

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Mine are better. The shrimp are larger, the veggies are fresher, the hot sauce is homemade, and the tortillas are multigrain. I also do crab, lobster, scallop and a variety of feesh. Next time you plan a vacation in Macondo we’ll have Craig exchange our emails for us and you can not only get to try all this stuff you’ve been reading about, but you get to meet Friendo, my pet rattlesnake, and Fido, my odd Hemingway hound.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Who are you trying to kid? Its nursing home food for you everynite!! And it all tastes the same so it doesn’t even matter what you pick for dinner everynite. You know old gasser hell is all about repetition and right now you are in your own personal little hell

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Assuming you are competent at anything more demanding than retyping the same limping material over and over again – virtually all of which is far older than I am, or at the very least has aged prematurely from overuse – you ought to try one of the periodic recipes I post here. Then again, it may be safer to have your mummy fix it for you so you don’t burn yourself.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM

you enjoy those nursing home mashed potatos and if they look a little green its not your eyesight going. they really are a little green but its better then nothing chump

• yahmule - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Could be a while before our stadium tour makes it out to Florida, I’ll look you up when it does, Gator.

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Gross.

• paperlions - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM

What? You prefer bread pudding tacos?

• historiophiliac - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM

No, smart aleck. I don’t eat shellfish. Shrimp is disgusting.

7. peopletrains - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM

One day you look good. The next day your Boog Powell.

8. natstowngreg - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:28 AM

You think mid-30s is hell? Wait ’til you get to your 60s. Though 62 is the new 42 (or, is it the new 45 years, 7 months?).

Impudent young whippersnapper. Now, where did I put my teeth?

• gloccamorra - Jan 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Actually, 55 is the new 40, the beginning of “middle age” (a baby boomer told me that). I HAVE noticed that 60 seems to be the age that what you did in your 40s comes back to haunt you, and your doctor says you have to take pills “for.the.rest.of.your.life”. Sixty seems like the age when you should get one of those home remedy books and stay the heck away from doctors.

9. jm91rs - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I thought Bryce had a lifetime free Chipotle card?

• stabonerichard - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM

He traded the Chipotle card for a UFC belt.

10. delsj - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I didn’t even know Del Taco was a real thing. I thought it just was a made up Taco Bell place referenced on Big Bang Theory. I googled it and put in my zip and found that the closest location is 455.71 miles away in MI. That explains that.

• jarathen - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

It is a place that makes tacos and burritos and also BURGERS AND FRIES.

Back when I worked there we had twenty-five cent taco Tuesdays. Some guy tried to order 100 tacos at the drive-through. We politely asked him to pull around and come inside so he could take his mostly lettuce in the 15 minutes it would take to make that many cheap tacos.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM

delsj, why don’t you take a quick run?

• delsj - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Tacos, burritos, burgers & fries… I’d be more concerned about making it back!

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM

He’ll have the runs after he eats the stuff.

• yahmule - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Del Taco is Spanish for of the taco.

11. anxovies - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM

If only he would have mentioned Jack in the Box instead of McDonald’s. That’s a clown comment, bro!

12. tonyc920 - Jan 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Wish we had Del Taco stores in the Midwest

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3864)