Jan 10, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Stephen Drew remains unsigned and the Red Sox remain open to bringing him back, but general manager Ben Cherington admitted yesterday that they haven’t talked to the shortstop’s agent since before Christmas.
Appearing on WEEI radio in Boston, the GM said “there’s nothing really to report” regarding any negotiations with Drew and agent Scott Boras, and the Red Sox have a pretty nice fallback plan in rookie Xander Bogaerts.
Drew hit .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games last season after back-to-back injury wrecked years.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29