Jan 10, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Stephen Drew remains unsigned and the Red Sox remain open to bringing him back, but general manager Ben Cherington admitted yesterday that they haven’t talked to the shortstop’s agent since before Christmas.
Appearing on WEEI radio in Boston, the GM said “there’s nothing really to report” regarding any negotiations with Drew and agent Scott Boras, and the Red Sox have a pretty nice fallback plan in rookie Xander Bogaerts.
Drew hit .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games last season after back-to-back injury wrecked years.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)