Jan 10, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Stephen Drew remains unsigned and the Red Sox remain open to bringing him back, but general manager Ben Cherington admitted yesterday that they haven’t talked to the shortstop’s agent since before Christmas.
Appearing on WEEI radio in Boston, the GM said “there’s nothing really to report” regarding any negotiations with Drew and agent Scott Boras, and the Red Sox have a pretty nice fallback plan in rookie Xander Bogaerts.
Drew hit .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games last season after back-to-back injury wrecked years.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (98)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)