Jan 10, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Stephen Drew remains unsigned and the Red Sox remain open to bringing him back, but general manager Ben Cherington admitted yesterday that they haven’t talked to the shortstop’s agent since before Christmas.
Appearing on WEEI radio in Boston, the GM said “there’s nothing really to report” regarding any negotiations with Drew and agent Scott Boras, and the Red Sox have a pretty nice fallback plan in rookie Xander Bogaerts.
Drew hit .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games last season after back-to-back injury wrecked years.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)