Jan 10, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
Don’t look at me like that. There’s literally nothing else going on right now. Anyway:
The great Jay Jaffe — the creator of the JAWS Hall of Fame scoring system which ranks a candidate’s worthiness of induction — takes a look at the potential Hall of Fame ballots over the next five years to see who is coming on board, who is going to be held over and what the odds are for each of them to be inducted as we march forward toward the 2020s.
There are several locks — Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey, Jr., Chipper Jones and, at the end of all of this, Derek Jeter. Assuming he doesn’t hang around another year after 2014. As for the holdovers from the current ballot?
. . .It’s not too hard to envision paths to election for the likes of Piazza, Bagwell, Raines and eventually Schilling, with others such as Mussina and Martinez to follow further on down the line. I don’t see much resolution on Bonds or Clemens, and expect Sheffield and Rodriguez to move along more slowly than their stats would suggest.
Good reading, in no small part for the names of the guys becoming eligible year-by-year. Seeing those very-recently-active players listed will probably make you feel old.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)