Jan 10, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
Don’t look at me like that. There’s literally nothing else going on right now. Anyway:
The great Jay Jaffe — the creator of the JAWS Hall of Fame scoring system which ranks a candidate’s worthiness of induction — takes a look at the potential Hall of Fame ballots over the next five years to see who is coming on board, who is going to be held over and what the odds are for each of them to be inducted as we march forward toward the 2020s.
There are several locks — Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey, Jr., Chipper Jones and, at the end of all of this, Derek Jeter. Assuming he doesn’t hang around another year after 2014. As for the holdovers from the current ballot?
. . .It’s not too hard to envision paths to election for the likes of Piazza, Bagwell, Raines and eventually Schilling, with others such as Mussina and Martinez to follow further on down the line. I don’t see much resolution on Bonds or Clemens, and expect Sheffield and Rodriguez to move along more slowly than their stats would suggest.
Good reading, in no small part for the names of the guys becoming eligible year-by-year. Seeing those very-recently-active players listed will probably make you feel old.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (110)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)