Jan 11, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
In November, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported that the Blue Jays were planning to move Jeremy Jeffress from the bullpen into the starting rotation. Two months later, Passan reports that the Jays are abandoning that idea, preferring to continue using Jeffress as a reliever.
Jeffress, now 26 years old, was drafted by the Brewers 16th overall in the first round of the 2006 draft. The Brewers initially used him as a starter but had him work as a reliever in a limited amount of playing time in 2010. After the 2010 season, the Brewers traded him to the Royals in the Zack Greinke deal. In 2011, the Royals had him make 11 starts between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha, as well as 14 relief appearances. Last November, the Blue Jays bought him from the Royals in a cash transaction.
In 27 1/3 innings as a reliever with Triple-A Buffalo last season, Jeffress posted a 1.65 ERA with 28 strikeouts and 13 walks. In a cup of coffee with the Jays as a September call-up, he did not allow a run in nine innings, striking out 11 and walking three. Clearly, there is still a lot of potential left in his arm.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)