Jan 11, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
In November, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported that the Blue Jays were planning to move Jeremy Jeffress from the bullpen into the starting rotation. Two months later, Passan reports that the Jays are abandoning that idea, preferring to continue using Jeffress as a reliever.
Jeffress, now 26 years old, was drafted by the Brewers 16th overall in the first round of the 2006 draft. The Brewers initially used him as a starter but had him work as a reliever in a limited amount of playing time in 2010. After the 2010 season, the Brewers traded him to the Royals in the Zack Greinke deal. In 2011, the Royals had him make 11 starts between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha, as well as 14 relief appearances. Last November, the Blue Jays bought him from the Royals in a cash transaction.
In 27 1/3 innings as a reliever with Triple-A Buffalo last season, Jeffress posted a 1.65 ERA with 28 strikeouts and 13 walks. In a cup of coffee with the Jays as a September call-up, he did not allow a run in nine innings, striking out 11 and walking three. Clearly, there is still a lot of potential left in his arm.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)