Blue Jays abandon idea of turning Jeremy Jeffress into a starter

Jan 11, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Jeremy Jeffress Getty Getty Images

In November, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported that the Blue Jays were planning to move Jeremy Jeffress from the bullpen into the starting rotation. Two months later, Passan reports that the Jays are abandoning that idea, preferring to continue using Jeffress as a reliever.

Jeffress, now 26 years old, was drafted by the Brewers 16th overall in the first round of the 2006 draft. The Brewers initially used him as a starter but had him work as a reliever in a limited amount of playing time in 2010. After the 2010 season, the Brewers traded him to the Royals in the Zack Greinke deal. In 2011, the Royals had him make 11 starts between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha, as well as 14 relief appearances. Last November, the Blue Jays bought him from the Royals in a cash transaction.

In 27 1/3 innings as a reliever with Triple-A Buffalo last season, Jeffress posted a 1.65 ERA with 28 strikeouts and 13 walks. In a cup of coffee with the Jays as a September call-up, he did not allow a run in nine innings, striking out 11 and walking three. Clearly, there is still a lot of potential left in his arm.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM

The bluejays also have abandoned any thoughts of signing free agents this season in case nobody has noticed. Its not really much of a surprise after you saw what happened to the poor signings of Josh and Mark and the rest of the boys, talk about terrible production!! YIKES!! No the Jays won’t be reaching into their wallet this off season or anytime soon.. Expect another last place finish and this year 30+ games out of first… That’s reality in the hard, cold, unforgiving, AL East folks, its gonna be a LONG LONG summer in Toronto!!

• happytwinsfan - Jan 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM

i’ve been told that you are a Yankee fan, yet i see no posts by you in any of the several yankee related threads going on here. yet you are the very first post in this rare blue jay related thread. so exactly where in canada do you live harry? you can tell me. every time i drive through canada to see my brother in alaska the further north i get the thicker my minnesota accent gets.

• whmiv21 - Jan 11, 2014 at 11:16 PM

He is a Yankee fan, but rather than comment about them, he decides that it’s more productive to be a troll and only post anti-Blue Jay comments, often on threads not even pertaining to them.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM

You think I live in Canada? The home of the draft dodging cowards? Sorry that’s not where I live as I am red, white, and blue thru and thru baby!!

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Our heroic virtual village idiot!

Red for fresh blood circulating from his lungs back to his mouth, the largest organ in his body, aside from his acne – which is the residue of a failed Siamese twin.

Blue for the contaminated blood heading back to his liver to have the codeine from his cough medicine cocktail filtered out (until he’s old enough to drink grain alcohol).

White for urban trailer trash. (Cue the Cowboy Junkies’ version of Springsteen’s “Brothers Under the Bridge.”)

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Draft Dodging Cowards? You mean other Americans, right? By far, the majority of draft dodgers in Canada were Americans.

When did you complete your military service, harry? Or did your trouble with the law, that your brain alludes to, keep you out of the military?

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Poor Dim Harry is, like most Teabagging blowhards, a fantasyland patriot. He’s either too young for the military – not that he’d enlist, knowing that his idiotic mouth would get him in all sorts of trouble. He’d develop PTSS before he boarded the C-130 knowing that he’d be fragged after two days in theater. Or, based on his level of maturity (not to mention intelligence), he would have to be one of the worst cases of arrested development you could possibly imagine without eliminating the tryptophan from his diet. Frankly, it wouldn’t surprise me if he were classified 4F due to acne.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Correct, and the reasons for this are (in order of insignificance) that he has nothing useful, analytic or intelligent to say about anything, and because he is an abject moron.

• happytwinsfan - Jan 11, 2014 at 11:56 PM

I disagree. he ain’t no moron. he’s one of your b-minus type students that’s decided it might be great fun to provoke those who actually care about what they’re writing about into a rhetorical frenzy and then snicker to himself about how much more knowing he is. what you say harry. amirite?

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I think that if you examine his inability to spell, punctuate or construct coherent syntax (and this without even taking into account his inability to construct logically coherent arguments), you will realize that “b-minus” is entirely too generous an assessment. This is the kind of moron you send to a special school to keep from having to repeat third grade for the third time.

• kiwicricket - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Harry- Talk us through it, mate….Walking in on the Jays mascot and your mother back in the mid 80’s. Must of been traumatic. Did you learn anything?

• dirtyharry1971smissingbrain - Jan 12, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Frankly, his mother used to give him holy hell for his behaviour. She hated how often he was in trouble, both at school and later with the law. I’m certain it had much to do with her early passing. The stress and all. He won’t learn. That is why I, his brain, have left him. He has no use for me and frankly, I’m better off living in this cantaloupe rind I found.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Yea I learned don’t trust anyone, not even family. And I learned that I am #1, everyone else is meaningless so look out for #1 baby!

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Congratulations, 2014 poster child for anencephaly. That might well be your most gratuitous comment of all. Centurion! Let’s have that crown of thorns for our virtual village idiot!

• nobodyimportant00 - Jan 12, 2014 at 1:42 AM

This statement is patently incorrect.

The Blue Jays signed free-agent catcher Dioner Navarro to a two-year deal and collected a knuckle ball pitcher in Tomo Ohka to give their catchers some practice with catching that pitch. Last word was they were waiting for the Non-MLB Tested Tanaka to be defined as someone’s starter then they were going after either of the two other free agent big fish (Santana or Jiminez). Frankly with Jeffers sitting there in the bullpen, they really don’t need another starter. Jeffers is insurance in case they can’t reel in one of the two big fish.

This seems like smart work to me. Last season, they gave up too many runs, a goodly portion of which were due to passed knuckle balls, while getting no production from the catcher spot with the bat. Navarro & Ohka sort out 2 problems at once. With the acquisition of Jeffers, they salt away an outstanding bullpen guy who could start as insurance against not collecting one of Santana or Jiminez, while improving an already potent offence with Navarro AND they improve Dickey’s personal catcher Thole, by getting him more knuckle ball catching work with Ohka.

If The Blue Jays manage to reel in Jiminez, by far the best of the two, then they accomplish some real improvement. Even if they don’t get Jiminez, Jeffers can probably do the job. Of course they have at least 2 starting pitchers coming back from TJ surgery (Drabek & Hutchison), too with the chance that Ricky Romero gets his act together in AAA.

They look pretty good to me.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Navarro fixes a problem? He is a problem if he is your starting catcher!!! jays offense strikes out way way too much and doesn’t get on base so Navarro will feel right at home with that unit. Their fielding sucks and even if they sign one of the so called big fish which I really don’t see cause they wont spend the money needed their rotation is much to be desired. Both Dickey and Burhle make much better NL pitchers as proven last year and those are the arms they are counting on!!! Sorry this is a 30+ games out of first team if I ever seen one. Get ready for another train wreck!!! All aboard!!!

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM

“If I ever seen one.” You flunk again. Surprised?

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM

dirtyharry, You have to be the stupidest and most narcissistic person on this site. I looked at your comments and I think you need psychiatric help. And to have all your guns taken away, too. You are a danger to yourself and others.

• dirtyharry1971mom - Jan 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM

HARRY GO TO YOUR ROOM, NOWWWW!!!!

2. mazblast - Jan 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Jeffress has always had the big arm, but at least twice has let his personal conduct get in the way of what could have been a great career. He seems to have his act together now and has found a niche, and the Jays have decided against messing with it.

Sure, Toronto can use another good starting pitcher, so can almost anyone. But why possibly screw up a quality reliever in an attempt to do it?

• proudlycanadian - Jan 12, 2014 at 3:37 AM

Last season, he was diagnosed as having a form of epilepsy and was placed on medicine as a result. He suspects that in his past, he used pot as a means of self-treating his medical issues.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

kinda like how old gasser was diagnosed with having Amentia

• abaird2012 - Jan 12, 2014 at 11:06 AM

What the hell is “Amentia”?

• proudlycanadian - Jan 12, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Obviously, Harry is suffering from Amentia.

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM

It’s any mental disability that results from inadequate development of brain tissue. It is not a proper name and is therefore not capitalized within a sentence. Poor Dim Harry, our resident anencephalic, is projecting with his brain stem again.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM

look it up

3. proudlycanadian - Jan 12, 2014 at 3:32 AM

Passan’s comment was a surprise, as there has been no speculation among the Toronto media that the Jays were going to try Jeffers as a starter. As far as anyone in the Toronto market was concerned, Jeffers was always going to be used in the pen.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Lord knows with that starting rotation the jays should carry 20 arms in the bullpen and even that might not be enough!!

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Just as, for an example, even after attending your special school during the summer session you still wouldn’t be able to construct a coherent, properly punctuated sentence.

• dirtyharry1971mom - Jan 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Harry if you don’t get off this site, I’m going to have to take your computer away again!!

4. louhudson23 - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:29 AM

Jeffress’ problem was not off the field and certainly not reefer(his small off field problems simply magnified his on field failures) I do not mean to diminish his medical condition,but …….he simply did not pitch well. He threw hard…..and straight…and in the general vicinity of the plate…He would fall behind and simply rare back and throw even harder,with control suffering even more…..He has begun to locate his fastball and even take a bit off it in order to do so…..mixing pitches and… voila……He is still a young man and one who had made it this far on pure velocity,which is not quite enough to succeed at the ML level….congrats to him for hanging in there and working and improving and becoming a “pitcher”. The sky is the limit for him and I wish him all the best….

5. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Personally id love to see Jeffress pitch anywhere on the bluejays, starter would be better cause he could do more damage as a starter then in the bullpen. there is a reason 3 or 4 teams have passed on this guy already and its because he can’t throw strikes!!! So yes AA Start this guy ASAP!!

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM

harry, I bet you’ve seen more Blue Jays games than a lot of people who claim to be their fans. Come out of the closet, Jay-man.

• abaird2012 - Jan 12, 2014 at 11:18 AM

He can’t find his way out, due to early-onset Amentia.

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Amentia is a terrible, terrible thing.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:08 PM

actually I only get to see them when they play the Yankees, we don’t get bluejay games in Pennsylvania and for good reason. NOBODY CARES and therefore nobody will watch it. So that’s the only time I see them is when they play the Yanks and you know what? That’s more then enough, I hate everything about them, that pathetic field, that one pathetic fan you can hear during all their home games yelling stupid stuff and you can only hear this guy because nobody else is there. I don’t however hate their fan base, I have nothing against them at all, I kinda feel sorry for all 7 of them

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Is Pennsylvania where you live or is that where mummy and daddy send you to special school to get you out from underfoot? I suppose either is possible, since Pennsylvania the state that sent Rick Santorum to the senate until they realized that they’d made a humiliating mistake. Much, I suspect, as our virtual village idiot’s parents must feel.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

PA is where I live, I have family who was in the 11th Infantry in Gettysburg and we love our guns and they can come take them from my dead cold hands. What else you want to know old gasser? speak to me

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Hilarious to hear you quoting from a deluded, neofascist clown who died of a brain disease. Probably just jealousy that he had a brain to become diseased in the first place. You’re still just a little nobody invoking relatives who (a) probably didn’t even exist, given that you’re completely full of laundry lint, and (b) whose achievements, if they did exist, not only say nothing whatsoever on behalf of the trivial waste of carbon that you are and (c) whose achievements, again if they existed at all, have been degraded by your pointlessness, along with their genetic bequests to succeeding generations.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM

and why would I make up any of that? I come from a family that has a history of going to battle and owns a TON of guns, I was raised with putting gun oil on my mashed potatoes that’s how much we love our guns. Most kids had teddy bears to sleep with, I had a gun….Happiness is a warm gun…

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM

You would make it up for the same reason that a little nobody like you would name yourself after a movie tough guy – to compensate for your well-justified feelings of inferiority. I think it’s more likely that you would foul your bloomers at the sound of a gunshot.

• nbjays - Jan 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Pennsylvania, huh? That explains much. Now we know Poor Dim Harry was a Phillies fan (and Mitch Williams was his idol) during the 1993 World Series. Joe Carter is the devil incarnate.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Sorry I hate all PA teams, NO exceptions! I hate them in football, hate em in baseball and I especially hate the Phillies and their fans even more then I probably hate the jays

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Looks like you are wrong again. Average Blue Jay attendance, >30, 000. Better than half of the other MLB clubs. So its hardly “7 fans”. Even by the standards of hyperbole, that’s stupid-wrong.

Are you just stupid or are you making an effort to be wrong all the time?

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM

He’s just stupid. Keep reading his posts if you need any more convincing.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM

This has to be the funniest thing ive read all winter…Its like Hey john I got interest in winning the Lotto but you don’t see me banking on it! hahahahaha good think they have a coach with a sense of humor..

John Gibbons: Jays have interest in Tanaka

in other blue jay news gose is really lighting it up in Venezuela, LOL

Anthony Gose hit .167 with 4 walks, in 7 winter ball games for Tiburones de La Guaira in Venezuela.

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM

And what do you think A-Roid is going to hit with the Ducks this season, O drooling one?

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I think I speak for all Yankee fans when I say we are thrilled, look at all the cash it opened up? Dumb question DUH!!!

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM

You don’t think you speak for all Borg fans because you can’t think, period, and you’ve proved that more times than there are odd integers of pi. You simply speak for all Borg fans, even the vast majority of those to whom your mere (if questionable) existence is an embarrassment because you don’t know any better.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I speak for the silence majority

7. Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Hard to believe that anyone who runs his mouth so mindlessly even understands what…er…”silence majority” (guffaw!) even means.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Us silent folks have decided to speak up, I speak for them. We are going to be known as the NWO AKA new world order!!

8. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM

my favorite part about this thread is maybe 3 comments were actually about this story, LOL

9. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 4:31 PM

NWO Theme!!

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:19 PM

My favorite part of this thread is the two brand new correspondents you’ve managed to convince that you’re a gibbering idiot. My Cray compiler is undergoing maintenance at the moment so I can’t check on how many that makes in total at the moment. Of course, in your atrophied little dystopia, this counts as an accomplishment.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 13, 2014 at 9:38 AM

NWO Brother!!!

• abaird2012 - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Early-onset Amentia is known to lead to incoherent raving and belief in outlandish conspiracy theories.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2757)