Complete statements from Alex Rodriguez, MLB, Yankees, Anthony Bosch

Jan 11, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT

Arbitrator Fredric Horowitz ruled today that Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez will serve a 162-game suspension for his ties to Biogenesis and performance-enhancing drugs. The punishment also bans him from participating in the postseason. Below you’ll find reactions from the various parties involved.

Statement from Alex Rodriguez:

“The number of games sadly comes as no surprise, as the deck has been stacked against me from day one. This is one man’s decision, that was not put before a fair and impartial jury, does not involve me having failed a single drug test, is at odds with the facts and is inconsistent with the terms of the Joint Drug Agreement and the Basic Agreement, and relies on testimony and documents that would never have been allowed in any court in the United States because they are false and wholly unreliable. This injustice is MLB’s first step toward abolishing guaranteed contracts in the 2016 bargaining round, instituting lifetime bans for single violations of drug policy, and further insulating its corrupt investigative program from any variety defense by accused players, or any variety of objective review.

I have been clear that I did not use performance enhancing substances as alleged in the notice of discipline, or violate the Basic Agreement or the Joint Drug Agreement in any manner, and in order to prove it I will take this fight to federal court. I am confident that when a Federal Judge reviews the entirety of the record, the hearsay testimony of a criminal whose own records demonstrate that he dealt drugs to minors, and the lack of credible evidence put forth by MLB, that the judge will find that the panel blatantly disregarded the law and facts, and will overturn the suspension. No player should have to go through what I have been dealing with, and I am exhausting all options to ensure not only that I get justice, but that players’ contracts and rights are protected through the next round of bargaining, and that the MLB investigation and arbitration process cannot be used against others in the future the way it is currently being used to unjustly punish me.

I will continue to work hard to get back on the field and help the Yankees achieve the ultimate goal of winning another championship. I want to sincerely thank my family, all of my friends, and of course the fans and many of my fellow MLB players for the incredible support I received throughout this entire ordeal.”

Statement from Major League Baseball:

“For more than five decades, the arbitration process under the Basic Agreement has been a fair and effective mechanism for resolving disputes and protecting player rights. While we believe the original 211-game suspension was appropriate, we respect the decision rendered by the Panel and will focus on our continuing efforts on eliminating performance-enhancing substances from our game.”

Statement from the New York Yankees:

“The New York Yankees respect Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, the arbitration process, as well as the decision released today by the arbitration panel.”

Statement from Biogenesis founder Anthony Bosch, via spokesperson Joyce Fitzpatrick:

“Tony Bosch doesn’t take joy in seeing Alex Rodriguez suspended from baseball, but he believes the arbitrator’s decision was appropriate. He is glad to have the arbitration behind him and believes he can play a valuable role in the future by educating athletes about the dangers of performance enhancing drugs.”

1. maritime85 - Jan 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Statement From Me via Me:

All parties are a bunch of assholes

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM

and what did the New York Yankees do wrong besides nothing? the rest of them I agree but the Yanks did nothing wrong here

2. brewer3 - Jan 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

So, Bosch is positioning himself to become a consultant on this topic going forward?

• otistaylor89 - Jan 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

They are the assholes who signed him to that ungodly contract – they are the worst of them all.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM

i agree bad contract, any contract for that much cash and any contract that takes a guy into his 40’s is not a good idea. With that said, are they the only team that’s ever offered a bad contract? Of course not

3. Professor Fate - Jan 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Statement translations:

Bosch:
    Now that my meal tickets have been busted I’m glad I caved to MLB in order to avoid criminal charges and make a little cash from this mess. I look forward to warning athletes about the very products I shamelessly hawked.

Yankees:
    While we would have preferred a lifetime ban for Rodriguez in order to avoid paying him the remainder of the ridiculous salary to which we idiotically agreed, we are happy to have at least a year’s relief.

MLB:
    We took a long shot and it payed off. Yippee! We’re so happy the arbitrator didn’t toss out all of our heavy-handed attempt to put A-Rod in his place. After all, everyone knows not much of our “evidence” would have made it out of the preliminary stages in a real court of law. Now we can claim we’re on top of the PED scandal that we ignored for a generation.

And, finally, A-Rod himself:
    Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, no matter how shoddily obtained, I still must take the narcissistic position that I have done nothing wrong and am being vilified and ostracized for no legitimate infraction. Yes, I’ve been taking vocabulary lessons while away from baseball so I can sound like the partner in a law firm I hope to be when my playing days are over. Which might be sooner than I had planned. Bosch and MLB will be the first parties I sue.

Despite my previous PED infraction, as well as my continued arrogance in refusing to admit I used PEDs again, I must maintain my deluded aura of innocence in order to have any chance at cashing in on my final contract. Thank you to all the fans who have continued to support me for no logical reason. Oh, and I look forward to finding a way to get into the Hall of Fame even though the majority of fans find it to no longer be relevant. Hey, money’s money, man.

• raysfan1 - Jan 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Still hoping law enforcement goes after Bosch hard.

• Jack Marshall - Jan 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Certainly the Hall of Fame is no longer relevant to Alex, or any of the other players who stand for profiting from cheating and bad sportsmanship. I guess it’s also not relevant to the fans who will cheer drug cheats and liars as long as they “put up the numbers.” Well, fine. I hope that “The Ends Justify The Means Hall of Fame” proves a satisfactory substitute for you and your kids. Enjoy.

4. yahmule - Jan 11, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Nine consecutive posts about the same guy has got to be an HBT record.

5. cackalackyank - Jan 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Yawn. What?

6. chadjones27 - Jan 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Here’s how his penalty was calculated:
    50 games for using
    50 games for lying
    50 games using some more
    10 for being a prick
    2 games because f-ck you A-Rod

7. hippopatamus - Jan 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Natural talent X PED’s= Crazy Yankee contract. They are as guilty as anyone else involved.

8. amehta256 - Jan 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM

In the end the yanks are the ones who have the most to gain as they save their $25mil and can sign someone else if need be… ARod should just talk buyout with the yanks and leave the sport.

9. dragonmaster416 - Jan 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Arid says he didn’t test positive for using drugs. I guess he forgot about 2003.

10. Walk - Jan 11, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I guess bud got what he wanted. Historically if he had retired earlier he would have been the commissioner that was soft on ped’s. Now he will be remembered as the man who took a hard stance on Arod.

11. chlstn - Jan 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM

It has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with the MLBPBA. The league has it’s rules and players are required to follow them.

12. yordo - Jan 12, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Is MLB going to provide security for Bosch forever, or is he going to disappear now? My friend Alexander was curious.

13. schreibdave - Jan 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM

“and further insulating its corrupt investigative program from any variety defense by accused players, or any variety of objective review.”

Can somebody please tell me what the word “variety” means in this context?

It appears to me that Aidiot is running the show and his lawyers and PR guys are taking direction from him. Both his PR strategy and his legal strategy are awful. Every time he makes a statement he looks more and more self obsessed, dishonest and frankly … dumb.

As for his legal strategy, it should have been to settle prior to arbitration with the best terms possible and emerge a changed man with a promise to never sin again. Instead, he got his clock cleaned in arbitration and he’s about to find out that the courts don’t review arbitrator’s decisions unless you can prove fraud of some sort – which he cant. You would think that his $1000 hr lawyers would tell him that.

Alex – if you are reading this (and you probably are) CALL ME. I can help you craft a better PR and legal strategy. And I only charge $950 hr. Plus expenses of course.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2684)