Jan 11, 2014, 10:04 AM EST
There has been plenty of speculation on Homer Bailey‘s future this offseason, with Reds general manager Walt Jocketty recently conceding that it will be “difficult” to sign him to an extension, but the right-hander tells FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal that he hasn’t dismissed the possibility of staying in Cincinnati.
“To say that I ‘want out of Cincinnati’ is not true,” said Bailey, who is from La Grange, Texas. “I have nothing but good things to say about ownership and management, and I hold a great relationship with the coaching staff.
“If I am in the organization’s future, my priorities are that things make sense for me on the business end, that we are a team that continues to be a highly competitive team in the league and a team that plays the game the right way.”
There’s nothing particularly surprising about that statement, but the key is the part about whether “things make sense for me on the business end.” Bailey is due to hit free agency next offseason and given his age and career trajectory, the 27-year-old could land a contract north of $100 million on the open market. Even if he hasn’t ruled out staying in Cincinnati, the price simply could get higher than the Reds are willing to go.
Bailey has bounced back from early injuries and disappointment to post a 3.58 ERA over the past two seasons, throwing two no-hitters along the way. With MLB Trade Rumors projecting him to earn $9.3 million in his final year of arbitration, contract talks with the Reds are on “hold” at the moment.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 43
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 21
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)