Jan 11, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
There has been plenty of speculation on Homer Bailey‘s future this offseason, with Reds general manager Walt Jocketty recently conceding that it will be “difficult” to sign him to an extension, but the right-hander tells FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal that he hasn’t dismissed the possibility of staying in Cincinnati.
“To say that I ‘want out of Cincinnati’ is not true,” said Bailey, who is from La Grange, Texas. “I have nothing but good things to say about ownership and management, and I hold a great relationship with the coaching staff.
“If I am in the organization’s future, my priorities are that things make sense for me on the business end, that we are a team that continues to be a highly competitive team in the league and a team that plays the game the right way.”
There’s nothing particularly surprising about that statement, but the key is the part about whether “things make sense for me on the business end.” Bailey is due to hit free agency next offseason and given his age and career trajectory, the 27-year-old could land a contract north of $100 million on the open market. Even if he hasn’t ruled out staying in Cincinnati, the price simply could get higher than the Reds are willing to go.
Bailey has bounced back from early injuries and disappointment to post a 3.58 ERA over the past two seasons, throwing two no-hitters along the way. With MLB Trade Rumors projecting him to earn $9.3 million in his final year of arbitration, contract talks with the Reds are on “hold” at the moment.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)