Jan 11, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
The Rangers were in for a shock yesterday when they learned that starter Derek Holland injured his knee in a fall at home, forcing him to undergo arthroscopic surgery to repair the torn cartilage. He is expected to be out until around mid-season. As a result, the Rangers are scrambling to find a substitute starter in the month-plus between now and the start of spring training.
Reports have indicated that the Rangers prefer not to make a big splash, such as signing Masahiro Tanaka or Matt Garza. Rather, they prefer to stay in-house. Names such as Robbie Ross have emerged, as well as last year’s set-up man Tanner Scheppers. Anthony Andro of FOX Sports reports that the Rangers have told Scheppers to arrive to spring training ready to start and compete for a spot in the rotation.
I’m just going to go in the best shape of my life, ready to throw, whatever they need,” Scheppers said. “I’ve been asked to possibly be ready for both (starter or closer) so I’m going to go in ready for whatever. I feel like my body is feeling good, healthy.”
Scheppers was one of the best relievers in baseball last season, finishing with a 1.88 ERA in 76 2/3 innings setting up for former closer Joe Nathan. Scheppers last started in 2011, when he made one start with Triple-A Round Rock. He started seven games in 2010 with Triple-A Oklahoma City. Despite the loss of Nathan, the Rangers have a lot of bullpen depth, so they can afford to move Scheppers to the rotation in a pinch.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)