Jan 11, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Horowitz is expected to rule on Rodriguez’s 211-game suspension today. Stay tuned.
11:35 a.m. ET: When yesterday passed without a ruling on Alex Rodriguez‘s 211-game suspension, the assumption was that we likely wouldn’t hear anything from arbitrator Fredric Horowitz until Monday at the earliest. As Ronald Blum of the Associated Press hears, that might not necessarily be the case:
People familiar with the case told The Associated Press on Friday that arbitrator Fredric Horowitz could issue his decision this weekend. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because no statements were authorized.
So, basically, a ruling could come down this weekend. Or it might not. Fun times.
While Steven Marcus of New York Newsday also hears that a decision from Horowitz is imminent, he adds the following interesting nugget:
Rodriguez has previously vowed to fight any suspension from MLB in federal court, but he could face long odds to have his case heard or walk away vindicated. With that in mind, Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York reported Thursday that he has discussed the possibility of accepting a reduced suspension (less than 100 games) to put the matter behind him. However, if Horowitz sides with MLB and upholds the suspension in-full or close to it, the fight figures to continue.
Rodriguez, 38, is under contract for $25 million in 2014. With a pursuit of Masahiro Tanaka underway, the Yankees would obviously appreciate some clarity on the situation as they attempt to keep their payroll under the much-discussed $189 million threshold.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 60
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)