Jan 11, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Rangers are “making progress” on a deal with free agent right-hander Jerome Williams. Talks have “intensified” since left-hander Derek Holland suffered a left knee injury which will likely keep him sidelined until midseason.
Williams was non-tendered by the Angels in December after posting a 4.57 ERA and 107/55 K/BB ratio over 169 1/3 innings over 25 starts and 12 relief appearances last season. The 32-year-old had a 4.58 ERA in 15 starts and 17 relief appearances in 2012.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said yesterday the Holland injury won’t put any pressure on the club to make a move for a “big ticket” starting pitcher, but they are obviously looking for some insurance. As of now, Alexi Ogando, Colby Lewis, Robbie Ross, Nick Tepesch, and Tanner Scheppers are all in the mix for the final two spots in the rotation.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 0
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 28
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)