Jan 12, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick has the report …
Chone Figgins wants to continue playing after sitting out all of 2013. He’s working out for MLB teams this week in Tampa.
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 12, 2014
Figgins batted just .181/.262/.271 in 2012 — his final year with the Mariners — and was cut by the Marlins last March after signing a non-guaranteed minor league contract over the winter. The 35-year-old utilityman hasn’t been an effective player since leaving the Angels in 2009. He has over $50 million in career earnings.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)