Jan 12, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Last month, the Cubs reportedly offered starter Jeff Samardzija a five-year contract extension worth $55 million. Nothing has surfaced since then, but CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney reports that the two sides are still far apart on the terms of an extension.
Samardzija’s name has popped up in trade rumors, but Mooney says that the Cubs plan to hold on to their right-hander until at least the trade deadline, when the supply-and-demand dynamics will change. Last year, they were able to unload Matt Garza on the Rangers for Mike Olt, Justin Grimm, C.J. Edwards, and Neil Ramirez. As Samardzija is entering his second year of arbitration eligibility and won’t become a free agent until after the 2015 season, they may be able to get a better package for him than they got for Garza.
Samardzija finished the 2013 season, his second as a full-time starter, with a 4.34 ERA in 213 2/3 innings of work, averaging almost exactly a strikeout per inning pitched. While the ERA is higher than you’d like to see for a player who wants more than $55 million, he earned much better grades from defense-independent statistics such as xFIP, which pegged him at 3.45.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (325)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)