Derek Holland unmasks the culprit behind the fall that sent him to the DL

Jan 12, 2014, 7:20 PM EST

Derek Holland AP

They say that dog is man’s best friend, but in Derek Holland‘s case, dog was his biggest enemy. As ESPN’s Richard Durrett details, Holland says his dog caused him to fall and injure his knee on the stairs.

It was Holland’s dog, Wrigley, a boxer, who caused the starter to buckle on the stairs of his home and injure his left knee badly enough that he needed arthroscopic surgery Friday morning to repair torn cartilage.

“He was running up the stairs and clipped me,” Holland said Saturday. “I hit my knee on the step, and if it wasn’t for me grabbing the rail, I might have fallen all the way down the stairs and cracked my head open.”

Should athletes be allowed to own dogs? Should teams include a clause in contracts going forward that labels dogs as dangerous, like riding motorcycles? Can we even trust dogs anymore? So many questions and so few answers.

1. chadjones27 - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I expect this sort of thing from a cat

• Bill Baer - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM

A cat would only have made Derek Holland fall if he was on a table.

• NatsLady - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Huh? My cats have their own table, and I’ve never fallen off it. :)

2. chacochicken - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I will say that it is common for one of my dogs to cut me off when descending the stairs. The most recent near-accident occurred after a heated argument over HOF voting.

• paperlions - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

What position did your dog take during the argument? Is he anti-PED era players?

• chacochicken - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM

This argument was mostly over Jack Morris. Without getting too involved he seems to think one can’t quantify player performance as easily in cases like Morris. I told him that he gives too much weight to game 7. The fact of the matter is my dog is short sighted.

As for PEDs, he recently stated that PEDs make better athletes but my clever retort was great athletes don’t always make good baseball players.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Mr. Chicken I think your dog sees in black and white.

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Chickens don’t have dogs!

• chacochicken - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Can to

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Bad, Wrigley! Put the chicken down! >:(

• chacochicken - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Chickens have dogs to keep the foxes away, thank you very much.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM

And dogs have chickens for their unborn children’s embryos, I presume? Otherwise I don’t see what is in it for the dog.

3. historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM

This is the kind of dog-hating BS post one would expect from a cat phan.

4. janessa31888 - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Cleaning houses for a living has turned me against dogs. The mess, the barking (yappy dachsunds) , the HAIR(five large collies)… and a terrifying Doberman have made me determined to never own an indoor dog. Hope this guy recovers well from this unfortunate doggy related mishap.

• yahmule - Jan 13, 2014 at 3:45 AM

Never own any dog if you’re not willing to bring it into your home.

5. rbj1 - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:31 PM

My first Chihuahua tripped me on the stairs once. I was carrying the other dog down (partially crippled & arthritic) and so couldn’t protect myself. Slammed into a corner and knocked four vertebrae out of alignment — and this was from four steps up. Had to call 911.

• missingdiz - Jan 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM

First Chihuahua? You got more? Reminds me of a guy I used to know. A couple of friends were talking about how one of them got a hamburger at a local fast “food” place that had been spit on. The guy said, “yeah, that happened to me there twice this month!”

6. tfbuckfutter - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM

His dog should talk to Chris Perez’s dog. He could hook Derek up with something to ease the pain.

7. drkincaid - Jan 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Wrigley? That’s a common pet name in Chicago; Holland a Cubs fan?

8. metfan722 - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Bully breads are like that. Loveable dogs but if you’re not careful they’ll accidentally take your legs out from under you.

9. fukpittsburgh - Jan 13, 2014 at 1:59 AM

Would it be fair to assume the dog was drunk?

10. yahmule - Jan 13, 2014 at 3:49 AM

Sounds like one of those “my dog ate half my season” excuses to me. And how many beers did “Wrigley” consume before this little mishap, hmm?

11. canadatude - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Women are much more dangerous than dogs. When is the last time you heard of a guy getting shot by his dog for a night out with the girlfriend?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4678)