Jan 12, 2014, 7:20 PM EST
They say that dog is man’s best friend, but in Derek Holland‘s case, dog was his biggest enemy. As ESPN’s Richard Durrett details, Holland says his dog caused him to fall and injure his knee on the stairs.
It was Holland’s dog, Wrigley, a boxer, who caused the starter to buckle on the stairs of his home and injure his left knee badly enough that he needed arthroscopic surgery Friday morning to repair torn cartilage.
“He was running up the stairs and clipped me,” Holland said Saturday. “I hit my knee on the step, and if it wasn’t for me grabbing the rail, I might have fallen all the way down the stairs and cracked my head open.”
Should athletes be allowed to own dogs? Should teams include a clause in contracts going forward that labels dogs as dangerous, like riding motorcycles? Can we even trust dogs anymore? So many questions and so few answers.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)