Jan 12, 2014, 3:18 PM EST
At last month’s winter meetings, Major League Baseball was poised to make two major changes to the sport: A broad expansion of instant replay and elimination of collisions at home plate.
But with spring training only one month away, it’s uncertain whether either will be implemented for the 2014 season. One major reason: The MLB Players Association has yet to give its approval, which is required under baseball’s collective bargaining agreement.
MLBPA officials aren’t ruling out a last-minute sign-off, but they clearly have some issues with the proposal that was presented to them last month in Orlando.
“Without getting into the specifics of those discussions I can say that a consensus on both matters was not reached,” MLBPA executive director Tony Clark wrote in an email Saturday to Morosi. “What has been contemplated exceeds what was agreed to. Because of that, we’re in the process of working through some of the issues as we see them. … As it relates to home plate collisions, there are several points of view to explore with the players and we continue to do so.”
The waiting game continues.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)