Jan 12, 2014, 3:18 PM EST
At last month’s winter meetings, Major League Baseball was poised to make two major changes to the sport: A broad expansion of instant replay and elimination of collisions at home plate.
But with spring training only one month away, it’s uncertain whether either will be implemented for the 2014 season. One major reason: The MLB Players Association has yet to give its approval, which is required under baseball’s collective bargaining agreement.
MLBPA officials aren’t ruling out a last-minute sign-off, but they clearly have some issues with the proposal that was presented to them last month in Orlando.
“Without getting into the specifics of those discussions I can say that a consensus on both matters was not reached,” MLBPA executive director Tony Clark wrote in an email Saturday to Morosi. “What has been contemplated exceeds what was agreed to. Because of that, we’re in the process of working through some of the issues as we see them. … As it relates to home plate collisions, there are several points of view to explore with the players and we continue to do so.”
The waiting game continues.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)