Jan 12, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
At last month’s winter meetings, Major League Baseball was poised to make two major changes to the sport: A broad expansion of instant replay and elimination of collisions at home plate.
But with spring training only one month away, it’s uncertain whether either will be implemented for the 2014 season. One major reason: The MLB Players Association has yet to give its approval, which is required under baseball’s collective bargaining agreement.
MLBPA officials aren’t ruling out a last-minute sign-off, but they clearly have some issues with the proposal that was presented to them last month in Orlando.
“Without getting into the specifics of those discussions I can say that a consensus on both matters was not reached,” MLBPA executive director Tony Clark wrote in an email Saturday to Morosi. “What has been contemplated exceeds what was agreed to. Because of that, we’re in the process of working through some of the issues as we see them. … As it relates to home plate collisions, there are several points of view to explore with the players and we continue to do so.”
The waiting game continues.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)