The MLBPA is not happy that Rob Manfred and Tony Bosch will appear on 60 Minutes

Jan 12, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

The Major League Baseball Players Association is writing the latest chapter in the drama that is this entire Alex Rodriguez situation. After Rodriguez was given a 162-game suspension by arbitrator Fredric Horowitz, MLB executive Rob Manfred and Tony Bosch of Biogenesis will appear on 60 Minutes tonight to expound on the ordeal.

The MLBPA had a lot to say about that in a statement. Via Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY:

Rodriguez has already vowed to take his case to federal court, and now the MLBPA is threatening to pursue legal action as a result of MLB’s media gloating tour.

Meanwhile, baseball fans around the nation flip back to the NFL playoffs.

Update: MLB responds in a statement of their own:

“It is ironic that the MLBPA is complaining about MLB’s participation in this program given that Mr. Rodriguez’s lawyer is also participating in the show. As to Mr. Bosch’s appearance, he is not controlled by us and is entitled to speak however he chooses about his interactions with Mr. Rodriguez.”

1. unclemosesgreen - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Popcorn – ready.

• chacochicken - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I heard Manfred is going to appear in a flight suit with a big banner that says Mission Accomplished.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM

He’s going to rappel down from a helicopter even though he works right across the street from the studio.

• rje49 - Jan 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Well, from what I heard it looks like MLB has a pretty good case with plenty of evidence. ARod’s denials, refusal to testify, and his lawyer’s predicted denials are lame and not at all believable.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:26 PM

So you wanted Arod to testify, saying something you won’t believe?

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Countdown til Twitter explodes!!!!! Hurry up and die already, football. Sheesh

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:36 PM

I’ve already broken twitter once. At least I think that’s what happened. But it’s fixable.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:39 PM

You aren’t going to like this but there’s a growing chance that this game goes to overtime.

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I noticed.

True story: I had to call my brother yesterday to find out what Feb 2nd was since they had a sign at Buffalo Wild Wings to pre-order for the date.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I’m sure he loved that. Did he explain it to you in terms of (pitchers & catchers) – x days = Super Bowl?

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Actually, he wasn’t sure until he looked at a calendar & saw it was a Sunday. And then we discussed V-D being report day.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Ah – another football fanatic. Here I thought Oklahomans enjoyed the less popular form of football.

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Really, we watch college football. He does watch pro ball sometimes, but it’s a lesser interest. I think he watches hockey much more.

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Eeeeee!!!!!!! He’s afraid of needles!

It begins…

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:20 PM

See here’s the thing, Alex (pauses to gargle gravel)

He seems credible. He he

• jeffbbf - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Is the MLBPA furious that ARod’s lawyer appeared, too? Explore all the legal options you want.

2. Professor Fate - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I could understand MLBPA’s anger if 60 minutes was somehow still a legitimate news program.

• indaburg - Jan 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

…or if Anthony Bosch appeared to be even remotely trustworthy or believable.

3. Kevin S. - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Hey, MLBPA just remembered they represent all union members, not just the popular ones!

• chacochicken - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I think Bosch has made more cash getting shut down than he ever did dealing PEDs. MLB money, 60 minutes money, probably some book money. A-Rod is the best thing that ever happened to him.

4. paperlions - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I assume 60 minutes will not be uber lazy and will explore the laws broken by MLB investigators as well as the fact that MLB knowingly bought stolen property.

/s

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM

In addition, I’m sure 60 minutes will spend ample time reviewing and discussing the Joint Drug Agreement and it’s clearly spelled out guidelines in addition to discussing how Anthony Bosh, an admitted criminal, who had his testimony coerced and then purchased, is less than a reliable witness.

Or they will just pile on Alex and continue to make him out to be the worst thing to happen to Baseball since the Black Sox.

• Kevin S. - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Nah, that’s Deadspin’s job. *Real* reporters don’t actually do investigative reporting, amirite?

/bbwaa’d

• historiophiliac - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Dude, that’s a totally different story. And no one cares.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Isn’t Bosch under federal investigation still? Seems like the only way his attorneys would let him speak on camera is if they already knew he was getting fluffed by CBS.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:38 PM

This scumbag Bosch is going to profit even more off his drug peddling now and that’s criminal.

6. uyf1950 - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I totally agree with the Players Association here. There is no reason for MLB/Selig and the arbitrator to participate in this “show”.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Totally agree with you UYF. At the same time I’m ready to see this Anthony Bosch character. I already have a feeling I will strongly desire a shower at the program’s conclusion.

7. padraighansen - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Rob Manfred has always been an arrogant, egotistical, loudmouth jerk. He is a great attorney, but a horrible, horrible human being.

• jeffbbf - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM

And this separates him from other great attorneys how?

• nbjays - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Most other great attorneys only have one “horrible” before “human being”, not two.

• padraighansen - Jan 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I guess if you hate attorneys that much, there’s nothing I can say or do that will change your mind. I can’t fix hate.

8. speedel - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I wonder if the MLB had someone in the editing room to make sure that nothing that could possibly contradict the official findings was broadcast

9. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Can anyone link to a fair, impartial article detailing the actions of all parties involved? I know it’s popular to hate on Alex, but in reality, everyone was culpable in this situation.

10. flamethrower101 - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:49 PM

If the MLBPA does not get involved in AROD’s legal fight after this, then I think there is a basis for AROD’s lawsuit. What the hell is MLB doing going on national TV with a deadbeat like Bosch exploting AROD like this?

• Kevin S. - Jan 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM

A-Rod’s lawsuit is separate from any legal recourse from MLB breaching confidentiality.

• flamethrower101 - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Even so, if the Union were to file a suit and AROD goes through with bringing his case to federal court it’s gonna be one messy battle with MLB.

11. Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I can’t really feel sorry for the Player’s Association here. By limiting their support of A-Roid to empty platitudes, they led MLB to believe that the league can now step all over the Players and their wussy so-called “union.” MLBPA brought this on themselves.

• Kevin S. - Jan 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Perhaps, but MLB may have just kicked them out of their complacency.

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I wished I cared enough about either side to give a flying penetration at a rolling donut.

12. thebadguyswon - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I’m telling you, baseball would solve half of its problems by removing Bud Selig from office.

• js20011041 - Jan 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM

While I want to agree with you, I’m not sure Selig himself is the problem. I’m sure they’ll find some Selig clone to run baseball when he’s gone.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Good point.

13. hbegley6672 - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Um… Guys? Mlbpa? The interviews were done before the announcement… Get over it

14. keltictim - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Ok personally I don’t think tony Bosch should be given any kind of platform to spout off his views. I see him as no different than a drug dealer however since arods lawyer will be there along with manfred I do see the news worthiness of the interviews. Just so long as they don’t get a bunch of softball questions or are allowed to just sit there and run their mouths unchallenged. Also,just to clear something up, 60 minutes does not pay people for interviews. Will Bosch use this opportunity to springboard into some profitable ventures like a book deal or something? Definitely, but he won’t be getting paid to sit down with 60 min.

I don’t understand the legal basis for the MLBPA saying they are looking at suing for the interview. That’s a head scratcher. All parties will be present so it’s not a slanderous situation. And let’s face it, when the union wins a battle, the first thing they do is run to the media. Pot meet kettle.

15. peddealer - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Hope you guys are watching me on 60 Minutes tonight..

A. Bosch

16. keltictim - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Thebadguyswon how exactly would getting rid of bud selig fix half of baseballs problems? I don’t always agree with the man but there’s no denying the heights baseball has soared to under his watch. His main job is to keep the game growing thus growing profits for the owners. When you really boil it all down that’s it in a nutshell. The owners, above all else, want the commish to grow the profit margins. Under bud baseball has seen record revenue which has led to record salaries for the players. There is no argument that he hasn’t done this. Could he have handled the steroids issue better? Of course, I think even he would agree to that, but seeing as none of us has never walked in his shoes we have no clue the reasons he had that led to the way he handled it. During McGuire and Sosa revenue was soaring again after the low points from the strike. Do you really think his bosses weren’t pressuring him to keep that money flowing? Let’s face it the owners are very smart men, you don’t get that rich being dumb, they knew what was going on. Or at least they had a good idea what was happening behind the curtain. We will never know why some things were done the way they were. The bottom line is his made some mistakes but he’s also done a lot to advance the game. I’m not sure anybody else in his position would have been able to do things any different. At least that’s my take on it. Feel free to rip me apart now. The app I use doesn’t show me the thumbs up/down thing you guys always talk,not that I would care anyway, but I’m sure the comments shredding me will be entertaining.

• skins51186 - Jan 13, 2014 at 2:43 PM

But your whole argument loses steam in the second sentence. The thing is, I can’t dispute the “heights baseball has soared to under his watch”. After the strike, things looked bleak for MLB. But what was arguably the leading cause for baseball’s return? Mcgwire and Sosa’s record-setting year.

What did Selig say then? Why wasn’t he immediately questioning their performances, and once he ultimately decided he cared about PEDs, why didn’t he cop to at the very least his “oversight” during the rampant mid-late 90’s PED use? Don’t give me this crap about “bosses pressuring him…” because he was and still is the boss. If by bosses you meant other stakeholders (such as owners), why would Selig have rolled over for the owners back when Sosa/Mcgwire (even Bonds) were cheating their way in to the record books but then switch and say he’s trying to “clean up the game” in recent years? Did the owners magically stop caring about penalties for players? No way.

This is an ego trip by a man who realizes he’ll be out of the public eye in a short period of time and therefore wants to leave his mark on the game while not caring about future repercussions. Just think about the precedent the A-Rod suspension sets. This whole 211-162 game ban is flat-out “illegal” according to HIS OWN rules- 50 games first offense, 100 games second, etc. I HATE A-ROD, but why should Selig get to dish out arbitrary suspensions?

Selig reaped mostly all of the benefits of PED use in this sport, end of story. I wouldn’t have any issues with his change in approach to PEDs if he didn’t come out with this smug, holier than thou attitude the past several years. Mcgwire and Sosa saved basesball, not Selig.

17. roseann894 - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM

A Rod and his camp should take a chill pill. I waited through about 15 minutes of commercials after the nfl game ended, including a lengthy commercial FOR 60 MINUTES ITSELF (dressed up as an intro to the show) followed immediately by many more minutes of commercials before I turned off the tv and got on with my life. They won’t get many viewers that way.

18. Kevin Gillman - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Why do I have this bad feeling Alex is going to get away with this? Too much of this case smells bad, and I am including Bud Selig’s part in this. How much longer until Bud retires again?

19. oldschoolnflman - Jan 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Free A Rod.

20. keltictim - Jan 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Has it actually been proven that arod can take this to federal court? There is no legal precedence for doing so and I can’t find anything in the JDA that allows for any further appeal. If I were his lawyer I would be advising him to move on. He could follow the Ryan Braun play book. Of course Braun isn’t quite as hated as arod, ok nowhere near as hated, but arods just trying to get back on the field not regain fans. Accept defeat, take the season off, do a bunch of high profile charity work, and the most important part get into The Best Shape of His Life. Even if he does at some point get back on the field he’s old, and I’m sure the juice has ravaged his tendons and things like that, so what are the odds he can even play anything resembling a full season. He could always get into acting. When he had the cameras on him fit that radio interview awhile back he was convincing while lying. That’s all acting is anyway.

21. cackalackyank - Jan 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I do not blame them. It reeks of MLB taking a victory lap. On the other hand A-rods lawyer is in there too. And A-rod had the opportunity to appear as well.

22. chunkala - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I would love to see everyone involved with the MLBPA to be drawn and quartered in a public square. Please, please someone make this happen.

23. keltictim - Jan 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Your basing your dislike of the man on assumptions about things you have absolutely no knowledge of. Yes the owners are his bosses and he is ultimately accountable to them not the fans. It’s the owners who are accountable to the fans. You have no clue what the owners were telling him to ignore and what they wanted him to police. When bud took over revenue was at 1.2 billion, this past year it exceeded 8 billion. So under buds watch revenue has exploded which means the fan base is much, much larger than when he took it over. So yes that means bud has taken baseball to unbelievable new heights. You can hate him all you want but he has left his mark on the game and it’s not cleaning the game up from roids, that is one small part of his legacy. You see what I did there I brought facts to the argument, you brought assumptions. Now give me your address I have a gift basket to send you.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester