Jan 12, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Sizemore has torn his left ACL twice in the last two years, limiting him to a total of six major league plate appearances since the beginning of the 2012 season. But he showed promise with the A’s in 2011, hitting .249/.345/.433 with 11 home runs and 52 RBI in 93 games, and the Yankees will hope that his health starts to cooperate.
Sizemore has primarily played second base and third base in his MLB career. The Yankees happen to need depth at both of those positions.
UPDATE, 11:53 a.m. ET: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the minor league deal is done.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)