Jan 12, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Sizemore has torn his left ACL twice in the last two years, limiting him to a total of six major league plate appearances since the beginning of the 2012 season. But he showed promise with the A’s in 2011, hitting .249/.345/.433 with 11 home runs and 52 RBI in 93 games, and the Yankees will hope that his health starts to cooperate.
Sizemore has primarily played second base and third base in his MLB career. The Yankees happen to need depth at both of those positions.
UPDATE, 11:53 a.m. ET: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the minor league deal is done.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)