A-Rod sues Major League Baseball and the MLBPA in an effort to get his suspension overturned

Jan 13, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Images

We knew it was coming and here it is: Alex Rodriguez sued Major League Baseball and its players’ union Monday, seeking to overturn his 162-game suspension. The best part: as part of his suit, he had to attach the arbitrator’s decision from which he appeals. We’ll be going through it here at HBT soon and finding all the fun bits. The takeaway from arbitrator Horowitz, however?

“While this length of suspension may be unprecedented for a MLB player, so is the misconduct he committed,” Horowitz wrote in his decision Saturday.

The claims against the union revolve around A-Rod’s contention that it “completely abdicated its responsibility to Mr. Rodriguez to protect his rights” and “this inaction by MLBPA created a climate in which MLB felt free to trample” on Rodriguez’s confidentiality rights.

Read the full complaint here

As we’ve said before, the likelihood of A-Rod getting the arbitrator’s decision overturned is low. And the addition of the player’s union should be seen in the context of trying to get the arbitration to be considered a train wreck. Given how clear it was that A-Rod wanted his own legal team to take the lead, however, it’s hard now to take his claims that the union was ineffective at face value. He all but told them to get lost.

Still, fun times ahead.

1. 6superbowls - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:05 PM

This just in: Alex Rodriguez sues fans of MLB.

• randomguy9999 - Jan 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM

No matter what, you can count on professional athletes to never, ever, ever take responsibility for anything no matter how red handed they got caught….. scumbags.

2. President Charles Logan - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Does anybody take this seriously at this point? does he not realize he hasent got a chance in the world to get this over turned ?

• raym64 - Jan 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

He obviously can afford the lawyers and there is 27 million for the year at stake. I’m pretty sure he wont win, but with that kind of money involved along with an athletes ego, I bet many in his position would do the same. I think he should just give it up and collect the 60 million he’s still owed, but he has a point. He never failed a drug test. I know I’d fight it if my employer suspended me for drug use after I passed the drug tests. especially if they owed me millions.

3. jollyjoker2 - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM

my only question is who is he going to put out a hit on. Seems like he is somewhat of a thug.

4. Jeff - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Reblogged this on Baseballs Bats.

5. tacasey - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I love this dude. He is truly special. Like Bonds, he is special, too. Just ask him, he will tell you just how special he is. He is smart by suing baseball. In the end, he will prove himself and he will be loved even more than he is now. What great vision on his part! Go get’em, tiger. Stupid judgmental world…..

6. ansondpantz - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Give me Gil Hodges and Jackie Robinson on my team over this creep any day!

7. psychologyofsports - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM

8. psychologyofsports - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM

This is like a divorce with both sides monies going to the lawyers. Except that this time both sides have money to burn however the outcome is going to be the same.-http://psychologyofsports.com/2014/01/12/alex-rodriguez-psychologically-and-legally-checkmated/

9. evermench - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM

You stay classy Alex!

10. hardkor07mn - Jan 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Go to hell and shut your stupid mouth already. You have lost all credibility already. Just go away loser!

11. rangermania - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM

The New York Yankees should sue Alex Rodriguez for deceptive representation of his skills being natural and not illegally drug assisted. They should sue for immediate cancellation of his contract and a refund of all monies paid since the initiation of the deception.

12. mlbfeces - Jan 14, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! If not for the Union, Arod would not be a millionaire. He is truly done, if he thinks suing the Union is a good idea!

13. manhandler1 - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:10 AM

What a royal Dickhead!…..pretty much sums it up.

14. jbsds - Jan 14, 2014 at 7:16 AM

I guess it should not surprise me that the Yanks would stand behind this jerk. New York has been the sewer of bad attitudes and an anything goes in their daily operations. So, A-hole has decided to sue everyone connected to baseball. I wonder what he will try get out of the Yankee fans. The Yankees had a long tradition of great baseball. It seems the sleaze has taken over operations. Pete Rose was banned for life for making his baseball world a gambling racket. I wonder if a drug addict’s cheating is any worse than what Pete did. How many games did the Yanks win because A-hole was pumped up on drugs?

15. bubba703 - Jan 14, 2014 at 7:39 AM

And after A-Rodiculous loses his MLB and player’s union lawsuits, he’ll probably next sue the Yankees because they said they will abide by the arbitration’s decision followed by a suit against Yankee fans for unfairly booing him which offset the benefits derivied from the drugs he denied taking, then sue me for this post.

He needs to go away.

16. omniusprime - Jan 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM

A-Jerk needs to taker his proper punishment like a man, an honest man who accepts he has done wrong. Hopefully his worthless legal suit won’t go anywhere, but we can never trust some corrupt conservative judge to feel sorry for this 1% trash and give him a pass.

I say that the next punishment for A-Jerk is a lifetime ban from the hall of fame, just like that scumbag pete rose.

17. mogogo1 - Jan 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM

So, he tells the union to take a hike because his lawyers have everything covered, then sues them for not helping with his defense? Best of luck with that one. His lawyers are who he should be suing. Whoever told him to blow off arbitration and then expect the courts to step in and reverse things was worse than clueless.

Some people don’t need to be physically old to be old and bitter. This guy has worn out all welcomes he ever had.

18. keltictim - Jan 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM

So many professional opinions here , which one to choose? The fake doctors, fake lawyers, professional bs artists? Google and the Internet at large has turned everyone into a pro.

I don’t understand exactly what he’s hoping for with his lawsuit. Is he trying to get the arbitrators decision tossed, the original suspension? Surely he doesn’t think he will get a pass. Somewhere in that massive empty head of his he does realize that there will be a punishment on some level right? Where does he go if the court declines to hear his argument? Can he just continue to appeal till the Supreme Court tells him to wank off? Does he eventually pull a lance Armstrong when all is said and done? For me the most curious aspect is his endgame. What in the world does he believe will be the final outcome of all of this.

To the guy calling Craig King Kong and all that, Craig’s been pretty darn clear on his take on the whole mess, and has never really wavered from that. He has from time to time hypothesized on what other people are thinking/doing but his personal view on the subject had stayed the same.

To the boy crying because he was “almost assassinated by the thumbs down”. Seriously? Do you really care that much about what anonymous people on some blog think about your thoughts? Do yourself a favor, take both hands, find a suitable bar, and get a grip man! If it bothers you that much maybe you shouldn’t post anymore. I for one only use my phone app to visit this site and post do I don’t see thumbs up or down, but I assure you even if I did I would care less about if people liked or disliked my thoughts. I have a great love affair with my thoughts and feel the need to share them with the world thru comments, and op-eds I write for various newspapers. It’s quite liberating.

19. Ricky - Jan 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Sounds like the Lance Armstrong situation… on steroids

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2773)