Jan 13, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez plans to file a lawsuit in federal court today seeking to overturn the arbitration decision against him. His attorneys went to court this morning in order to get an order to have the arbitrator’s decision — which must be attached to the lawsuit which seeks to overturn it — sealed or at least redacted. The New York Daily News reports that the effort has failed:
“Given the intense public interest in commissioner’s Selig’s disclosures last night it’s difficult to imagine any portion should be under seal,” Pauley said, citing First Amendment considerations and ruling that A-Rod would have to file an unredacted version of a complaint to overturn the arbitration award.
A-Rod likely wants the decision sealed because it contains embarrassing information about him and/or evidence that will be picked up and ran with by the newspapers and bloggers and talk radio hosts and everyone. The union — one would think — would want it sealed as a matter of principle, relating to its desire to want to maintain overall confidentiality of the drug enforcement program.
But nope: if and when A-Rod sues, we’ll see the arbitrator’s report. This is good from a transparency standpoint — a lot of us want to see how the arbitrator justified a 162-game suspension — but it’s awful if you’re the sort of person who doesn’t want to hear about Alex Rodriguez anymore.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)