Jan 13, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez plans to file a lawsuit in federal court today seeking to overturn the arbitration decision against him. His attorneys went to court this morning in order to get an order to have the arbitrator’s decision — which must be attached to the lawsuit which seeks to overturn it — sealed or at least redacted. The New York Daily News reports that the effort has failed:
“Given the intense public interest in commissioner’s Selig’s disclosures last night it’s difficult to imagine any portion should be under seal,” Pauley said, citing First Amendment considerations and ruling that A-Rod would have to file an unredacted version of a complaint to overturn the arbitration award.
A-Rod likely wants the decision sealed because it contains embarrassing information about him and/or evidence that will be picked up and ran with by the newspapers and bloggers and talk radio hosts and everyone. The union — one would think — would want it sealed as a matter of principle, relating to its desire to want to maintain overall confidentiality of the drug enforcement program.
But nope: if and when A-Rod sues, we’ll see the arbitrator’s report. This is good from a transparency standpoint — a lot of us want to see how the arbitrator justified a 162-game suspension — but it’s awful if you’re the sort of person who doesn’t want to hear about Alex Rodriguez anymore.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)