Alex Rodriguez Suspension Wrapup

Jan 13, 2014, 6:40 AM EDT

In case you had a life over the weekend or, in case you did something silly with your time like pay attention to football, you may have missed the news of Alex Rodriguez‘s 162-game suspension being affirmed by an arbitrator. Or, at the very least, you may have missed HardballTalk’s coverage of the news. If so:

There will no doubt be more to spin out of all of this. And, as always, we will have it covered like nobody’s business.  But at least now you’re caught up.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 13, 2014 at 6:50 AM

MLB had a chance to forge an alliance with the Players Association on this whole drugs in baseball situation and in my opinion they “blew it”. Putting aside Bosch’s appearance on 60 Minutes there was no need for MLB’s representative to be there and “pile on” as the MLBPA has labeled it. MLB won this battle but this was the time to play the gracious/classy winner an keep quite. The facts and the arbitrators decision did all the speaking MLB needed. But because of Selig’s insatiable appetite to show he’s the “king of the baseball domain” he has potentially alienated a much needed ally in the fight to clean up PED’s and drug use in general from MLB. Very, very petty and short sighted on his part. That’s my opinion.

• uyf1950 - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:27 AM

As I write this 4 people have given my previous post a thumbs down. While I understand not everyone will share my viewpoint. What I find most interesting is that while 4 people do like share my viewpoint or opinion they apparently have NO opinion of their own that they would would like to share with others at this time.

• uyf1950 - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:34 AM

correction: …while 4 people do “not” share my viewpoint or opinion….

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM

You have to learn to ignore the thumbs system. Anytime I even mention Alex or A-Rod in any of my posts the internets swoop in and hit me with 50+ thumbs, because people don’t care about facts, only that they hate Alex and anything that could be construed as support for him is automatically as evil as he is.

Every time you say something nice about Alex Rodriguez, a puppy in dog heaven loses it’s wings.

• chadjones27 - Jan 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM

The only thing I would have changed is:
      The “facts” and the arbitrators decision…

• pjmarn6 - Jan 13, 2014 at 2:07 PM

This topic is going to drag on for years. Where Rodriguez could have made it go away by acting like an adult, cooperating with MLB, admitting taking drugs and getting back on the field in a couple of months, his ego blindsided him.
      But with his millions and desire for revenge, he lost out twice. Millions to his lawyers and millions lost in not playing. No 800 homers, no positive legacy, nothing. Somehow, something will come up that he played his last baseball game. No 2015 or any future in baseball. He can go and chat with Warren Buffett and watch his money grow.
      I knew when he signed that quarter billion contract with Texas that it was all going downhill from there. Everyone is right. Anything that remotely touches Rodriguez is a scam, baseball, Selig, the union, the lawyers, the arbitrator, the courts, all the players, nothing will be the same again. There will always be the nagging doubt that someone or something is adversely affecting the game. I have no doubt that the unions, MLB, the commissioners office, all the teams owners and managers knew about PEDs and all turned a blind eye while the money rolled in.
      They all turned MLB into a version of WWW.

2. hbegley6672 - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Arod came up guns a blazing. He and MLBPA can’t cry about a retort. Ridiculous

• paperlions - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Just because someone is an idiot doesn’t mean you have to sink to their level….especially when doing so will piss off your business partners.

Historically, neither MLB nor the MLBPA have given up anything that must be negotiated just because it was the right thing to do, any such thing has ALWAYS been used as a bargaining chip. Recently, the MLBPA stopped doing that with respect to the JDA, agreeing to changes in it without requiring MLB to “give up” anything in exchange. I can’t help but think that this power grab by the commissioner’s office has made the MLBPA re-think their stance on that….after the poor behavior by MLB during this fiasco (yes, ARod is a guilty narcissistic jackwagon, but MLB comes off just as bad here), I wouldn’t be surprised if the MLBPA refuses to simply rubber stamp things like replay and home plate collisions despite the fact that they are actually in favor of those changes. If the other side is going to willfully ignore bargained agreements, why do anything that makes their lives easier? If I am the MLBPA, my biggest bone of contention is the dangerous “best interest of the game” clause that allows the commission to exact petty revenge.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM

You make a very excellent point, one I had not considered. Could the fact that the union has so far refused to accept the changes to collisions at home plate and instant replay be a response to the treatment of Alex? And could this be the beginning of a much larger war on the horizon? I hadn’t made that connection before, and I’m really interested to see if that holds true.

3. lukeslice - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Craig you LOOOOOOOOOOVE talking about A-Rod’s legacy. Will your personal legacy as a sportswriter be that you’re the expert on A-Rod’s legacy? I can’t wait until your tell-all book about how nice a guy A-Rod is.

4. chacochicken - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Alex is almost certainly guilty. I think we can all agree to that point on some level. However, the process that took place to punish him really makes MLB leadership look terrible. Tony Bosch, obvious smarmy degenerate, changed his story after being sued and paid by MLB. They “arbitrate” a 162 suspension from essentially nowhere then take a pseudo-victory lap on 60 Minutes while dropping the death threat line. Why not say he spit on your kids too?

5. chadjones27 - Jan 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM

So, when does the IRS come after Bosch (and his business partner) for all this cash paid to them under the table, as he claimed. What was it, $12,000/month (or week?)
    Probably hid that on the books somehow.
    Probably wont happen, but imagine that, after all this. Bosch gets paid by MLB to testify against A-Rod and only does so after the threat of charges are dropped by MLB, then ends up in jail for tax evasion from this interview.
    Hey, weirder sh!t has happened.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Tony Bosh admitted on national television that he purchased, sold, and administered illegal drugs. Why he is not in handcuffs at this very second I will never know.

6. yournuts - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I didn’t find Tony Bosch as a credible witness. Reasons. He was being sued by MLB. He made a deal with them o turn in Arod, from his deal he got, the lawsuit dropped, his legal fees paid for past and future transgressions on this issue, and 800,000 cash called security or protection from Arod’s camp.

If it smells like a rotten and looks like rotten then maybe it is a rotten. I found so many holes in this story, why was other people caught and not Arod if they were all Tony Bosch’s clients? Sorry, to many unanswered questions.

How much money did Tony Bosch receive from 60 minutes for this interview?

7. cackalackyank - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM

This whole thing reminds me of turd that just won’t go down no matter how many time you flush.

8. plmathfoto - Jan 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I saw that the Yankees are going to make him go to minor league camp if he insists on showing up for Spring training.

9. mogogo1 - Jan 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Big lesson to the next player stuck in a similar situation is don’t blow off arbitration or assume you’ll be better off going it alone without the union. A-Rod proved to be the egomaniac everyone knew him to be. He basically gave arbitration the finger, so no surprise it didn’t go his way. He told the union to take a hike because his legal team had all the answers and that’s going to lead to him being laughed at in his efforts to get the federal courts to take up this case.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3362)