Jan 13, 2014, 6:40 AM EDT
In case you had a life over the weekend or, in case you did something silly with your time like pay attention to football, you may have missed the news of Alex Rodriguez‘s 162-game suspension being affirmed by an arbitrator. Or, at the very least, you may have missed HardballTalk’s coverage of the news. If so:
- A-Rod gets a 162-game suspension;
- He will try to appeal it to federal court, but here’s why he has little chance of success;
- The winners and losers of the A-Rod decision;
- A big winner? Bud Selig, who just had a huge power grab pay off;
- Complete statements by A-Rod, the Yankees and Anthony Bosch;
- The Players Union disagrees with the ruling, but is now washing its hands of the matter;
- Where do the Yankees go from here?
- What does this do to Alex Rodriguez’s legacy?
- This is awkward: A-Rod could still participate in spring training;
- And, if he wants to, he could play for the Long Island Ducks;
- In the meantime: lots of sniping back and forth over everyone going on “60 Minutes”
- Controversial or not, Tony Bosch dropped some interesting bombs on “60 Minutes” all the same.
There will no doubt be more to spin out of all of this. And, as always, we will have it covered like nobody’s business. But at least now you’re caught up.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Mets rookie right-hander Jacob deGrom threw all of his pitches in a bullpen session Tuesday in Oakland without experiencing any discomfort in his shoulder and has been cleared to return to the starting rotation Saturday night against the Dodgers.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Nationals are the hottest team in the majors. Stephen Strasburg yielded just three hits over eight inning of one-run ball and shortstop Ian Desmond went 3-for-4 with four RBI in an 8-1 stomping of the Diamondbacks on Tuesday night in Washington, D.C.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
The Orioles’ four-year, $50 million deal with starter Ubaldo Jimenez is already looking like a disaster. Jimenez registered a 4.83 ERA and 1.55 WHIP over his first 20 outings this season and now MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli reports that the right-hander has been demoted to the bullpen for the stretch run.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT
USA Today’s Bob Nightengale reported Tuesday morning that the Diamondbacks “currently plan to bring back” manager Kirk Gibson next season. But the club’s new chief baseball officer — Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa — is now denying that anything has been decided on the Gibson front.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Jesse Hahn has been optioned to the minor leagues as part of a planned-out strategy to limit the rookie’s innings total in 2014.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Great news here for the second-place Cardinals. Injured catcher Yadier Molina told Jim Hayes of FOX Sports Midwest on Tuesday afternoon that he is hoping to be cleared to begin swinging a bat on Wednesday or Thursday.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Cubs third base prospect Kris Bryant sent a scare through the organization on Saturday when he had to leave a game at Triple-A Iowa with pain in his left big toe. But all is well with the budding superstar.
Aug 19, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
Ryan Raburn’s disappointing season for the Indians now includes a trip to the disabled list with a sore right wrist.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
St. Louis infielder Mark Ellis is headed to the disabled list with a strained oblique muscle, which tends to sideline players for more than the minimum 15 days.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
McLouth played just 79 games and hit .173 for the Nationals in the first season of a two-year, $10.75 million deal.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
McCutchen was having another MVP-caliber season at the time of the injury, ranking among the NL’s top five in batting average (.311), on-base percentage (.411), slugging percentage (.536), and OPS (.947).
Aug 19, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Cespedes said he almost cried when he found out he was traded. But he wishes everyone the best.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
The silly NL West wild card race may actually favor the team playing the worst baseball right now.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Before being shut down Cashner had a 2.36 ERA in 12 starts.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
A small move for the Indians, but a nice move all the same.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
“I’m not a 22-year-old single guy anymore. There are a lot of things that play into coming back and your decision.”
Aug 19, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Other than underachieving, alienating certain players and ordering pitchers to throw at guys, Gibson has been fantastic.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Baseball wound up the career path of choice for the A’s right-hander, but football will always be in Samardzija’s blood.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
But I suppose someone — two someones, actually — has to win this ugly thing.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
“It looked really close to what we normally would see when he’s out there.”
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)