Jan 13, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Interesting comments from an “agitated” Scott Boras this evening, as he told FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal via phone that MLB is wrong to enter into relationships with suppliers of performance-enhancing drugs and that the Anthony Bosch situation sets a dangerous precedent:
“The integrity of the game is only partially served when a known pusher is exonerated, when the genesis of this entire problem is now given a forum and compensation and is not behind bars for the distribution and promoting the use of illegal drugs not only to baseball players, but all members of the sporting community and youth,” Boras said.
“Until we rectify that problem we have not addressed the central issue of eradicating PEDs from professional sports. We have to have legislation; we have to have very clear authority and prosecution of these individuals.
“If these individuals go free, it promotes behavior to create processes to distribute PEDs knowing the league’s focus is on the players not on the distributors of drugs.”
It’s no surprise to hear Boras — the agent — be on the side of the player, and tonight’s comments aren’t far off from what he said back in August when it was first reported that MLB had cut a deal with Bosch. Still, as he often does, Boras has a way of making you think. And it’s hard to shake the notion that in a general sense, MLB’s priorities were out of whack.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)