We’ve reached the “Masahiro Tanaka’s wife wants to be on the west coast” point of this silliness

Jan 13, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT

We get to this point every offseason. Some big free agent is still out there and we hear that they like the west coast. Or the east coast. Or their wife does. Or they want to be where they grew up. Or they want to be where they can fly home to wherever they call home quicker. Or they like spring in Florida as opposed to Arizona or vice-versa.  So it is with Masahiro Tanaka:

My wife wanted to be in Ohio when I graduated law school, so to Ohio we went. Nearly sixteen years later I’m still here. And I’m not married anymore. Maybe I shoulda just followed the money?

I bet that’s what Tanaka does.

1. jarathen - Jan 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM

The “wife wants to live in X” thing reached its nadir with Mark Teixeira.

• chunkala - Jan 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Can you really blame her though? Boston or New York for social experience, she made the obvious easy choice.

2. NYTolstoy - Jan 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Sucks craig about the marriage thing. But, believe me if my job needed me to relocate my women’s got to say the ok. Love is an odd thing but sex makes enough sense to me to keep the lady happy. Anyone who says other wise is nuts

• NYTolstoy - Jan 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM

So nobody likes sex?

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Not really. We’re just victims of peer pressure.

3. nymets4ever - Jan 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM

With any high-profile free agent, no matter where they sign they’re going to make gobs of money. Knowing that, is it really that mindblowing to consider that they’re human beings who might have familial desires and regional preferences, and are not robots built solely to maximize their own value to the cent?

• jarathen - Jan 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM

But that doesn’t happen often. Every once in a while you’ll hear that “Player X” left money on the table to play close to his hometown, or for a chance to win it all, but usually it’s all money.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM

(nods in agreement)

• stex52 - Jan 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Makes a lot of sense to me, mets4ever. I know that is how I would operate if I knew I would be very rich wherever I went. Having said that, it seems to me lately that a lot of the stars have gotten into the game of making more than anyone else to prove they are the best. Maybe Tanaka is a little more grown up than that.

Were I he, I would definitely be listening to what the lady had to say.

4. chacochicken - Jan 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

“I could play for the worst team if they paid the most…If the last-place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I’m going to go for the $200 million no matter what team it was.”
    Zack Greinke

Now, I know he is “crazy” but he’s not that crazy. Also a word of advice, pay for your women up front, it is much cheaper in the long run.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Nonsense. Let her old man pay you a dowry. If it was good enough for the prophets, it’s good enough for the profits.

5. vanmorrissey - Jan 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Hey, its in the water there, Craig! Moved to Ohio 20 years ago, went through divorce, move back to former state. Can we say stay away from Ohio if you want a happy marriage, or if you’re looking to get divorced, just move there?

6. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 13, 2014 at 12:02 PM

“My wife wanted to be in Ohio when I graduated law school, so to Ohio we went”

Oh dear lord, I’m so sorry.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Air Ohio beats the bus to Kokomo/Zanesville!

7. sdb74 - Jan 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Well, the Dodgers are on the West coast & here’s guessing they outbid the Yanks too. Guessing he’ll be a Dodger.

8. larrymahnken - Jan 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I’m pretty sure that’s just a joke about Hal Steinbrenner saying that staying under the luxury tax is a “goal not a mandate”

9. stex52 - Jan 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Movie quote of the day. “Well, they are really not so much rules as guidelines……”

10. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM

But the kids, what about their kids*? Think about the kids, wouldya!
    -signed Colorado School Districts
    -Cosigned, Mike Hampton

* the “author” of this post has no idea if Tanaka has kids and has made no effort to check. pfft

11. Carl Hancock - Jan 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Your first mistake was marrying a woman that actually wanted to live in Ohio.

• teambringitstrong - Jan 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Or from Ohio.

• janessa31888 - Jan 13, 2014 at 6:05 PM

So, because I’m from from Ohio I’m doomed to remain single? Oh well, guess I’d better move to Canada. Maybe their men are have less anti Ohio bias.

12. ramrene - Jan 13, 2014 at 2:03 PM

The Dodgers NEED to sign Tanaka because they’re going to lose Kershaw. When asked about coming back to the Dodgers he’s been non-committal and hasn’t shown much enthusiasm in his response. It appears he’s looking forward to leaving the organization.

• spudchukar - Jan 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM

To classy for the “City of Angels”. Rumor has it he wants to join the Cards’ organization. Kind of a “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em mentality.”

• stex52 - Jan 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Oh my God! I’m getting out of the way of the avalanche on this one. Later, spud.

13. yournuts - Jan 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I do believe that wherever she wants to live she will have enough money to live there.

14. jamesweltyms - Jan 13, 2014 at 3:43 PM

If the Dodgers are indeed the favorites, the Angels simply need to step up. If they can’t sign Tanaka then how serious are they about leveraging Trout through his prime years. The Angels better get serious if they want to keep Trout. A consensus building here (http://the-mike-trout-sign-o-meter.com/) is that Trout will cost 10 years and $310MM+.

15. yordo - Jan 13, 2014 at 3:52 PM

He has to pretend like her opinion is relevant. Do you know how many new wives he’ll be able to afford?

16. 461deep - Jan 13, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Depends on $$$$ offer discrepancy regarding a wife’s preference. In the Tanaka case the difference
    may be small among NYY, LAA, LAD. Not like KC being out immediately. Plus both NYS & CA are high tax states which is a push there. Japanese-American community more pronounced in CA adds comfort. Hal may be worried about this or saying I’ll break the bank. Popa George would but maybe not him.
    Yankees older team with more needs than LAA or LAD. I say LAD gets prize as on paper they appear to be favorites to go far in 2014 playoffs.

• teambringitstrong - Jan 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Income tax, yes, but property taxes are a different story.

17. cackalackyank - Jan 13, 2014 at 4:39 PM

“Hey hon, I luv you and everything, but if I go to NYY I get to fulfill my dream of playing with my childhood hero, Ichiro san, and wear the same Uniform as Godzilla. If you luv me too, you will come with me to NY so I can fulfill that dream.” Not saying it will happen but it could come down just like that. I think using Ichiro as potential Tanaka bait is the best reason I know of for having given Ichiro that 2 year deal.

• braxtonrob - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM

@cackalack, I don’t know where you been but last time I checked, the Yankees have (at least) one too many OF’rs. Ichiro is leaving NY; he’s not going to stay to come off the bench.

• cackalackyank - Jan 14, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Sir, your list of teams that will take him for 6.5 million, please? Right now NYY have 5 of/dh types now that Wells is gone. Soriano, right now figures on getting @ 60-70% of the DH at bats. Also, with Ellsbury and Beltran in the mix there will be plenty of AB’s for another OF.

• braxtonrob - Jan 15, 2014 at 2:48 AM

The Yankees will gladly eat much of that salary in order to make room for a utility player who can play the OF in a pinch, versus keeping an unhappy Ichiro on the bench.

18. rje49 - Jan 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM

How many times has a guy signed with the team “he always wanted to play for” because it was his home team or whatever, then when the two-year contract is up, he goes and signs somewhere else with no regrets?

19. genericcommenter - Jan 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM

“If you chase power you aint gotta chase women
    So take some advice, choose cash over a$$”- Killer Mike

20. realitypolice - Jan 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM

List of people who either didn’t want to live in New York or their spouses didn’t:

Mark Teixeira
    Mike Mussina
    CC Sabathia

Please.

• braxtonrob - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:31 PM

@realitypolice, Good comment, but THIS is different; they live in JAPAN. (Get a clue.)

• jwbiii - Jan 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Also Cliff Lee.

21. joenash72 - Jan 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Last I checked, Seattle is also on West Coast ;-)

Safeco Field is also within walking distance of a top Japanese store, Uwajimaya. Also can still get an “Ichiroll” at the stadium.

While I’d be excited to see Mariners sign Tanaka, what I’d rather see is us get Tony LaRussa as our new team president. Crazy that he has expressed his interest in the position, even said he submitted a resumè and letter, and we are not beating down his door? I’d rather have him making the baseball decisions than Jack Z, split the thing up like something similar to Nolan Ryan in Texas. Get it done, and let Tony LaRussa decide if Tanaka is worth the $$$$ it’s gomna take to sign him.

I ain’t even really a fan of LaRussa, to be honest. But also wasn’t a fan of Pete Carroll when we Seattle signed him out of USC. It is better to have guys like that and win/be competitive than the alternative, though. We have had the “alternative” plenty long in Seattle professional sports :-(

• cackalackyank - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Of course they are just “rumors”, but its been out there since Friday that Tanaka seems to have narrowed it to NY and LA. That came right after the LAD will not be outbid story, and before the NYY shed 100% of A-rods paycheck.

22. braxtonrob - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Tanaka is just using NY (lol).

No way does he not pick LA over NY, (wife or no wife).

• cackalackyank - Jan 14, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Like Sabathia did.

23. therooneyskilledwebster - Jan 13, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Ok, so who’s gonna be the one to break the news to Harry that NYC isn’t on the west coast ?

24. kevinbnyc - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TAX CONSEQUENCES!?!??!

25. stigly - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Sorry but this guy is Japanese, not American. He doesn’t give a hoot what his wife wants. She does what he wants.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline