Jan 13, 2014, 6:50 PM EST
According to the Associated Press, former major league outfielder Wladimir Balentien has been arrested on domestic violence charges in Florida.
Balentien, 29, is facing a felony false imprisonment charge and a misdemeanor battery charge following a confrontation at his wife’s house over the weekend. The couple is currently going through a divorce.
According to a police affidavit, Karla Balentien refused to answer the door or her phone when Wladimir Balentien arrived at the house Sunday. Wladimir Balentien then pulled out several window screens and climbed into the house through a dining room window.
Balentien grabbed his wife’s arm as she was running upstairs, police said, and then followed her into a bedroom and locked the door. The couple’s young daughter was also there.
A witness called police and Balentien was taken into custody, according to the affidavit.
Balentien is scheduled to have a bail hearing, but he was still in custody as of late this afternoon. A judge has ordered him to stay away from his wife.
Balentien, who previously played in the majors with the Mariners and Reds, joined the Tokyo Yakult Swallows of Japan’s Central League last season and set a new-single season record with 60 home runs.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)