Jan 13, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, former major league outfielder Wladimir Balentien has been arrested on domestic violence charges in Florida.
Balentien, 29, is facing a felony false imprisonment charge and a misdemeanor battery charge following a confrontation at his wife’s house over the weekend. The couple is currently going through a divorce.
According to a police affidavit, Karla Balentien refused to answer the door or her phone when Wladimir Balentien arrived at the house Sunday. Wladimir Balentien then pulled out several window screens and climbed into the house through a dining room window.
Balentien grabbed his wife’s arm as she was running upstairs, police said, and then followed her into a bedroom and locked the door. The couple’s young daughter was also there.
A witness called police and Balentien was taken into custody, according to the affidavit.
Balentien is scheduled to have a bail hearing, but he was still in custody as of late this afternoon. A judge has ordered him to stay away from his wife.
Balentien, who previously played in the majors with the Mariners and Reds, joined the Tokyo Yakult Swallows of Japan’s Central League last season and set a new-single season record with 60 home runs.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)