Jan 13, 2014, 6:50 PM EST
According to the Associated Press, former major league outfielder Wladimir Balentien has been arrested on domestic violence charges in Florida.
Balentien, 29, is facing a felony false imprisonment charge and a misdemeanor battery charge following a confrontation at his wife’s house over the weekend. The couple is currently going through a divorce.
According to a police affidavit, Karla Balentien refused to answer the door or her phone when Wladimir Balentien arrived at the house Sunday. Wladimir Balentien then pulled out several window screens and climbed into the house through a dining room window.
Balentien grabbed his wife’s arm as she was running upstairs, police said, and then followed her into a bedroom and locked the door. The couple’s young daughter was also there.
A witness called police and Balentien was taken into custody, according to the affidavit.
Balentien is scheduled to have a bail hearing, but he was still in custody as of late this afternoon. A judge has ordered him to stay away from his wife.
Balentien, who previously played in the majors with the Mariners and Reds, joined the Tokyo Yakult Swallows of Japan’s Central League last season and set a new-single season record with 60 home runs.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)