Jan 13, 2014, 6:50 PM EST
According to the Associated Press, former major league outfielder Wladimir Balentien has been arrested on domestic violence charges in Florida.
Balentien, 29, is facing a felony false imprisonment charge and a misdemeanor battery charge following a confrontation at his wife’s house over the weekend. The couple is currently going through a divorce.
According to a police affidavit, Karla Balentien refused to answer the door or her phone when Wladimir Balentien arrived at the house Sunday. Wladimir Balentien then pulled out several window screens and climbed into the house through a dining room window.
Balentien grabbed his wife’s arm as she was running upstairs, police said, and then followed her into a bedroom and locked the door. The couple’s young daughter was also there.
A witness called police and Balentien was taken into custody, according to the affidavit.
Balentien is scheduled to have a bail hearing, but he was still in custody as of late this afternoon. A judge has ordered him to stay away from his wife.
Balentien, who previously played in the majors with the Mariners and Reds, joined the Tokyo Yakult Swallows of Japan’s Central League last season and set a new-single season record with 60 home runs.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)