Jan 13, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
According to FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi, the Yankees have contacted the Padres about dealing for an infielder. Chase Headley has been the subject of trade speculation for a long time, often in connection with the Yankees, but Morosi writes that Logan Forsythe is “the most realistic target.”
Forysthe, who turns 27 tomorrow, batted just .214/.281/.332 with six home runs, 19 RBI and six stolen bases in 75 games last season while dealing with plantar fasciitis. However, he’s just a year removed from a .733 OPS and has experience all over the diamond. He made starts between second base, third base, shortstop, and both corner outfield spots last year.
Forsythe owns a .793 career OPS against southpaws, so Morosi speculates that he could be a platoon partner for Kelly Johnson at third base.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12