Jan 14, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Jordany Valdespin is not exactly the most user-friendly guy around. Last May he angered the Pirates by showboating after hitting a home run . . . with his team down 7-1. Last summer he threw a temper tantrum after learning he was being demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas. After going down to Vegas he helped start a benches-clearing brawl. Long before all of that he was said to be unpopular with his Mets teammates for his alleged bad attitude and lackadaisical play. After all of that he was suspended for 50 games for Biogenesis stuff.
You’d think after the humbling hear Valdespin had that he’d put his head down and show people that he belongs in the bigs. You’d think wrong: MLB Nation reports that he has walked out on his Dominican Winter League Team because they had the gall to pinch hit for him:
Infielder Jordany Valdespin has decided to leave his team, Tigres del Licey, of the Dominican Winter League, reportedly infuriated after being pinch-hit for in a playoff game this past weekend. The news was first reported by Dominican radio show Grandes En Los Deportes (Spanish Twitter link), co-hosted by ESPN Deportes’ Enrique Rojas.
And the kicker: he was hitting so poorly for the Tigres that there is really no argument against pinch hitting for him, making his little tantrum over it all the worse.
Valdespin was picked up by the Marlins after the season. It’ll be interesting to see if he can, you know, not be a total screwup for a couple of months at a time.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)