Jan 14, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Buck has been a starter for most of the past decade, but he’d serve as a veteran backup to Mike Zunino with the Mariners.
Buck has always had good power for a catcher and smacked 15 homers in 110 games for the Mets and Pirates last season, but he also hit just .219 with a ghastly .285 on-base percentage and .648 OPS. He hasn’t cracked a .700 OPS since 2009, so transitioning to a part-time role at age 33 makes sense.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 20
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 16
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)