Mariners sign John Buck to one-year, $1 million deal

Jan 14, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

john buck getty Getty Images

As first suggested by FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi and now confirmed by Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Mariners have reached agreement on a one-year, $1 million major league contract with free agent catcher John Buck. The deal is only pending a physical and should be finalized at some point later this week.

Buck struggled to attract a healthy market this winter after batting .219 with a .285 on-base percentage in 431 plate appearances last season between the Mets and Pirates, but the 33-year-old has some power and won’t be asked to handle much of a load in Seattle behind starting catcher Mike Zunino.

Buck has averaged 22 home runs per 162 games since the beginning of the 2010 season.

The right-handed hitter has a .727 career OPS against left-handed pitching.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 14, 2014 at 6:25 PM

When I first saw this headline, my heart lept out of my chest with excitement.

I thought it said Joe Buck.

Now I want to cry.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Joe Buck has that effect on me.

2. knicksmets - Jan 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Not terrible, especially for a backup role. Fro. What I saw of him on the mets I’m sure he can be an above average backup catcher. Hope he does well for them.

3. jkaflagg - Jan 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM

The final piece of the puzzle !!!

But seriously, I’m looking forward to seeing what the M’s bring this season – with Cano on board, that starting pitching and now John Buck, they could be very interesting if a few if their youngsters blossom…..,

• illbarry - Jan 15, 2014 at 1:13 AM

The M’s have a lot of promise moving forward. They are one of the youngest teams in Baseball. I don’t think they will be asking for a lot from Buck unless Zunino gets injured, but he could give them a quality pinch hitter and options in late innings and spot starts. A lot of people think you have to have a roster full of big “name” players and huge overall payrolls to win, but you only have to look at the Yankees who didn’t make the play-offs last year either to know that is not true.

4. dylanthom2013 - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Shots fired.

5. jeffa43 - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Stable pony for Zunino….

HIs clubhouse presence alone is worth 1m… Good signing.

6. illbarry - Jan 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM

I Like the signing its more of an insurance policy if Zunino gets injured or struggles. Zunino was called up last year mostly because he was advanced with handling a pitching staff so there were going to be struggles at the plate, but he was hitting well when he got injured. If Zunino stays healthy he is the future, think Dan Wilson with an upside of a possible better bat. Wilson was the backstop and game caller, and who can forget after a Lou tirade when he covered home plate with dirt and when play resumed the Ump refused to wipe off the plate and Wilson asked the ump for the broom so he could uncover it!! Priceless!!!

7. braxtonrob - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:21 AM

… player signs for a million dollars.

I remember back when this would have been a HUGE deal; things have REALLY changed.
    (Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Nolan Ryan was the first million-dollar-man.)

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4017)