Jan 14, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Young hit .279 with eight homers and a .730 OPS in 147 games for the Phillies and Dodgers last season, but Rosenthal writes that he “wants to spend more time at home with his wife and three sons.” His family situation has been a factor for Young previously in terms of trade scenarios.
It’d be interesting to know if the offers to Young include the promise of everyday playing time or just part-time roles, because he hasn’t logged fewer than 550 plate appearances in a season since 2001 and the thought of a bench gig might make retirement more appealing. Also, I guess a wife and kids and stuff is cool too. Whatever.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 17
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 17
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)