Jan 14, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Young hit .279 with eight homers and a .730 OPS in 147 games for the Phillies and Dodgers last season, but Rosenthal writes that he “wants to spend more time at home with his wife and three sons.” His family situation has been a factor for Young previously in terms of trade scenarios.
It’d be interesting to know if the offers to Young include the promise of everyday playing time or just part-time roles, because he hasn’t logged fewer than 550 plate appearances in a season since 2001 and the thought of a bench gig might make retirement more appealing. Also, I guess a wife and kids and stuff is cool too. Whatever.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 0
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)