Michael Young is thinking about retiring

Jan 14, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Michael Young AP

Michael Young has been linked to multiple teams, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the 37-year-old third baseman is “strongly considering retirement.”

Young hit .279 with eight homers and a .730 OPS in 147 games for the Phillies and Dodgers last season, but Rosenthal writes that he “wants to spend more time at home with his wife and three sons.” His family situation has been a factor for Young previously in terms of trade scenarios.

It’d be interesting to know if the offers to Young include the promise of everyday playing time or just part-time roles, because he hasn’t logged fewer than 550 plate appearances in a season since 2001 and the thought of a bench gig might make retirement more appealing. Also, I guess a wife and kids and stuff is cool too. Whatever.

1. sincitybonobo - Jan 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I know he’s past his prime, but couldn’t Young help the Yankees at 3B, based upon their current options?

• scyankee64 - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I agree, but he made 16 million last year. I wouldn’t give him anywhere near that.

• robotmonkeycat - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I doubt he’d expect to make that much or anywhere close to it. At this point in his career, I’d imagine he’s probably more interested in winning a championship than getting a fat contract.

The Yankees could probably sign him to a 1 year incentive laden deal with a 2-4 million base.

2. nymets4ever - Jan 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Young’s had an extremely solid career and seems to be well-spoken in his interviews…he’d be a good addition to MLB Tonight if he’s so inclined.

• bfunk1978 - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:45 PM

While I agree he seems to be literate and able to formulate complete sentences, the last thing MLB Tonight needs is another ex-player spouting sports clich├ęs.

3. pizzadawg - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Evan Grant weeps

4. cackalackyank - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Wow, see what happens when the NYY need someone to play 3B. I think Scott Rolen did this last season.

5. blovy8 - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I would have thought Jeter would lobby for this guy, seemed like he always had good things to say about Young.

6. blovy8 - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM

It could have been because for a while he was the only guy worse defensively at short…

• fanofevilempire - Jan 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM

you don’t even watch Yankee games so you make a ridiculous comment like that.

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM

• jcmeyer10 - Jan 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I wonder what you got in your Derek Jeter swag bag?

• braxtonrob - Jan 15, 2014 at 3:44 AM

@blovy8,

Jeter has an EXCELLENT glove with poor range (made up for by great hitting), and Young has an even BETTER glove with above average range (at SS, and 2B for that matter).

Do you not know great SS’s when you see them or are you just too lazy to look up their numbers which supports this fact?

7. storebrandcookies - Jan 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Young was my favorite Ranger when I was growing up, I hope he signs a one day contract and retires a Ranger,

8. slaugin - Jan 14, 2014 at 3:17 PM

back in 2002 Young and Gagne were waiver wire pick ups that led me to my first Fantasy Baseball Championship.

9. koufaxmitzvah - Jan 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Gauchos Nation salutes Michael Young.

/tortilla tossed

10. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM

maybe old gasser will follow his footsteps and go into retirement from his computer

• dirtyharry1971smissingbrain - Jan 15, 2014 at 3:32 AM

And maybe you will grow up? Your puerile idiocies are a tired old act. I prefer this cantaloupe rind to your head. Just as your family prefers the company of strangers to you. Ever think about not being such a douche? You might not die bitter and alone then.

1. H. Pence (2148)