Jan 14, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
Tony Plush alert. This is not a drill:
It appears Nyjer Morgan will be back in MLB in 2014 after a year in Japan. He’s closing in on a deal with unspecified club.
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 14, 2014
Morgan last saw work in the bigs in 2012 when he hit .239/.302.308 for the Brewers. Last year he played in Japan, hitting .294/.361/.434 with 11 homers, 50 RBI for Yokohama in Japan’s Central League.
It’ll be interesting to see if it’s a major league or a minor league deal. But heck, Delmon Young got signed yesterday, so nothing would surprise me.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)