Jan 14, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
Tony Plush alert. This is not a drill:
It appears Nyjer Morgan will be back in MLB in 2014 after a year in Japan. He’s closing in on a deal with unspecified club.
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 14, 2014
Morgan last saw work in the bigs in 2012 when he hit .239/.302.308 for the Brewers. Last year he played in Japan, hitting .294/.361/.434 with 11 homers, 50 RBI for Yokohama in Japan’s Central League.
It’ll be interesting to see if it’s a major league or a minor league deal. But heck, Delmon Young got signed yesterday, so nothing would surprise me.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 237
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)