Jan 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
San Diego acquired Smith from Oakland six weeks ago in exchange for reliever Luke Gregerson and he figures to see consistent playing time in the Padres’ outfield against right-handed pitching.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says it’s a $4.5 million deal, which is pretty expensive considering Smith didn’t hit very well after leaving the Rockies and Coors Field, posting a modest .246 batting average and .738 OPS for the A’s.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (110)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)