Jan 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
San Diego acquired Smith from Oakland six weeks ago in exchange for reliever Luke Gregerson and he figures to see consistent playing time in the Padres’ outfield against right-handed pitching.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says it’s a $4.5 million deal, which is pretty expensive considering Smith didn’t hit very well after leaving the Rockies and Coors Field, posting a modest .246 batting average and .738 OPS for the A’s.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69