Jan 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
San Diego acquired Smith from Oakland six weeks ago in exchange for reliever Luke Gregerson and he figures to see consistent playing time in the Padres’ outfield against right-handed pitching.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says it’s a $4.5 million deal, which is pretty expensive considering Smith didn’t hit very well after leaving the Rockies and Coors Field, posting a modest .246 batting average and .738 OPS for the A’s.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)