Jan 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
San Diego acquired Smith from Oakland six weeks ago in exchange for reliever Luke Gregerson and he figures to see consistent playing time in the Padres’ outfield against right-handed pitching.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says it’s a $4.5 million deal, which is pretty expensive considering Smith didn’t hit very well after leaving the Rockies and Coors Field, posting a modest .246 batting average and .738 OPS for the A’s.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 31
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)