Jan 14, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
This gem from Bob Klapisch is why we can’t have nice things:
Does it bother you that MLB played tough to get the evidence? It shouldn’t, not if you believe baseball needs to root out its cheaters.
This is the sort of logic that has prevented any sense of sanity to prevail in the conversation about performance enhancing drugs. Apparently if you’re bothered — merely bothered! — that MLB paid off a drug dealer, purchases stolen evidence and allows its investigators to sleep with witnesses and all manner of other things, you’re pro-cheater. You think PEDs should be totally legalized or something. If you’re not 100% for MLB, you’re against it.
I think it was the sixth grade when I was introduced into the ethical and moral subject of whether ends justify means. It may have been even earlier than that. Yet here is a big time newspaper columnist who thinks such considerations are silly. He should be embarrassed.
Or, if he wants to remain consistent with this argument, he can advocate summary executions of suspected PED users. That is, if he doesn’t want us to think he’s pro-cheater.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 14
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 25
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)