Jan 14, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
This gem from Bob Klapisch is why we can’t have nice things:
Does it bother you that MLB played tough to get the evidence? It shouldn’t, not if you believe baseball needs to root out its cheaters.
This is the sort of logic that has prevented any sense of sanity to prevail in the conversation about performance enhancing drugs. Apparently if you’re bothered — merely bothered! — that MLB paid off a drug dealer, purchases stolen evidence and allows its investigators to sleep with witnesses and all manner of other things, you’re pro-cheater. You think PEDs should be totally legalized or something. If you’re not 100% for MLB, you’re against it.
I think it was the sixth grade when I was introduced into the ethical and moral subject of whether ends justify means. It may have been even earlier than that. Yet here is a big time newspaper columnist who thinks such considerations are silly. He should be embarrassed.
Or, if he wants to remain consistent with this argument, he can advocate summary executions of suspected PED users. That is, if he doesn’t want us to think he’s pro-cheater.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 26
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 100
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)