R.B.I. Baseball will return in 2014

Jan 14, 2014, 11:39 PM EDT

rbi baseball logo

R.B.I. Baseball was the most popular baseball video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System. It was not the best baseball game for the NES — that title belongs to Baseball Stars — but R.B.I. had player name licensing from the MLBPA and came out with yearly editions so it flourished over Stars and the also-under-appreciated Bad News Baseball and Bases Loaded during the late 80s and early 90s.

Now all you millions of R.B.I. Baseball fans get to take another ride. MLBAM, the league’s interactive media wing, has announced a spring launch for an R.B.I. Baseball reboot on all current-generation consoles and mobile devices. There isn’t much more information yet — only a Twitter feed, a one-page website and a logo — but the game is coming and will be the first attempt at a console product for the MLBAM folks.

We’ll assume that the R.B.I. Baseball 2014 presentation will be significantly different from the NES versions that hit North American shelves in 1988, 1989 and 1990. Which really is too bad …

1. Walk - Jan 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM

That game featured teddy bear like catchers. If you threw a ball really far outside the catchers arm would disappear and the glove, by itself, would make the catch. I loved that game because it was the first one i got to use real players on. My other favorite and the only one i played more than rbi was bases loaded 1 and 2.

• moogro - Jan 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I love how the ball skids on the grass surface like it’s ice.

• adowding3 - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Bases Loaded was the best. My brother and I grew up over epic battles against Worth, the deadly Texas slugger.

2. slystone111 - Jan 15, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Baseball Stars was epic. I still play it regularly, in emulator form.

• bfunk1978 - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I preferred Baseball Stars 2 on the Neo Geo. If you’re going to play an old baseball game in an emulator, that’s a fantastic one to try.

3. andreweac - Jan 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM

They should rename it wRC* Baseball.

• gothapotamus90210 - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I wonder what Paste’s WAR was (.467 avg., 60 HR)

• gothapotamus90210 - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Indepth analysis of Paste: http://throwbackattack.com/2013/09/04/the-best-video-game-character-ever/

4. syphermce - Jan 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM

But the real question on everyone’s mind is…will A-Rod be in the game?!?

• km9000 - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:20 AM

There’s a Rodrgz, but you have to use cheat codes to be any good. You know, like the actual guy.

5. sawxalicious - Jan 15, 2014 at 1:51 AM

My favorite baseball game of all time was Super Bases Loaded on the Super NES. Most realistic and fun gameplay…the only thing that sucked was there weren’t actual MLB players. My brothers and I spent countless hours putting together our own all-star teams of players, only to have them deleted every time we turned the game off. Still loads of fun, though.

• km9000 - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:26 AM

Griffey for SNES is still my favorite, though I mostly gave up gaming once controllers exceeded 8 buttons. There was nothing like the characterization and animation there, and the game play was great too.

• cohnjusack - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Ken Griffey Jr Baseball for SNES was awesome for another reason too.

These are the actual default names for some various teams

NY Mets: D. Harry, W. County, J. Ramone, J. Thunders…etc
        LA Dodgers: J. Biafra, K. Morris, H. Rollins, D. Crash, P. Ivy…etc
        SD Padres: J. Strummer, M. Jones, J. Rotten, S. Vicious…etc

In other words, they defaulted the names to people from the early NY, LA and London punk scenes.

6. DonRSD - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:32 AM

MLB The Show is the most realistic baseball game ever created.
    Do yourself a favor and get a PS4 & MLB The Show 14 this spring.

As far as NES days, it was Bases Loaded for me.
    SNES/Genesis was Tony LaRussa’s baseball
    N64 was Ken Griffey

• bfunk1978 - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Bases Loaded (the original) was a ton of fun. On the Genesis, TLR was good until Triple Play (the one with Tony Gwynn on the cover) came out. TP was based on TLR baseball, though, so I guess that makes sense.

7. braxtonrob - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:39 AM

I felt like I was REALLY watching Mattingly hit one out. Awesome!

8. Jeff - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:46 AM

Reblogged this on Baseballs Bats.

9. skeleteeth - Jan 15, 2014 at 7:50 AM

You’re welcome.

10. cohnjusack - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:01 AM

The most brilliant thing on youtube.

A user recreates the final 8 minutes of game 6 of the 86 Series using RBI baseball.

• gostlcards5 - Jan 15, 2014 at 1:48 PM

That is beyond brilliant, especially when they added in the Miller Lite Player of the Game clip with Marty Barrett. That. Is. Awesome.

11. antifreeze27 - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM

That game is 100% responsible for turning me into the baseball fan and stat geek that I am today.

I can still recall certain players’ 1987 stats, and I know it’s only because I played this game nonstop!

/Mattingly .327/30/115 on the AL Allstars FTW!!!!

12. chill1184 - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Ive been trying to find a nice portable baseball game so I’m looking forward to this. Baseball Superstars for Android is nice but I would love something that has the real teams. My brother bought me MLB 2K13 and I cant hit for jack. My favorite has to be the Ken Griffey Jr series for SNES and N64

13. villanyc - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Did anyone see the massive HR by Canseco in the bottom of the 1st? Even in the video game he was on steroids.

• antifreeze27 - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Did anyone else use the AL allstar team and ALWAYS put McGwire right into the game? I usually used him to piinch hit for Canseco his first AB. (No way was I taking Mattingly out of the game and McGwire would hit a HR every AB!)

14. chaseutley - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM

It took me 20 years to get that song out of my head. Dammit Drew!

• mntreehugger - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I can still hear the clink of the bat clear as day.

15. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I used to always beat the hell out of the bluejays in this game, it really planted the seed of hate I still have for them today

16. bfunk1978 - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Reminiscing aside, I’m sure this is an effort to get a baseball game – any MLB-licensed baseball game – on a game console other than PlayStation. MLB The Show right now is the only MLB-licensed game around. Even MLB 2k13 was just a last-minute rehash of 2k12 because 2K Games/Take Two originally didn’t plan to re-up their third-party console/PC exclusivity. It’s a shame that MLB felt like they had to sell exclusive rights because it’s pretty well killed off baseball sims not made by Sony, for Sony.

That said I have a PS4 and I can’t wait for The Show 14. :D

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:46 AM

And I’m still upset with MLB for going the exclusive route. And I’m still upset the NFL did the same. In one year, we lost both the best Baseball game and best Football game. The show looks good, but it’s not worth spending $400 on a console for.

• bfunk1978 - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I absolutely agree on your first point.

The Show by itself isn’t a good enough reason to get a PS4, just like it wasn’t enough on its own to get a PS3. But since I’ve been a console gamer since my parents got a post-1984 market crash Atari 2600 and if I was already going to buy one (and I was) then I’ll stick with Sony so I can play baseball.

17. sandrafluke2012 - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:25 AM

ron paul

18. mundial8 - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Everyone is weighing on NES/SNES games… How about the baseball pinball game where you scored so many runs it would spit out baseball cards? I ended up getting a Frank Thomas once.
    Also, someone help on this. I used to have an electronic baseball game which came with baseball cards. You could play against someone across from you. Each side had a keypad and you would hit pitch or hit and you could use the baseball cards to sub in pitchers/batters by pressing their number. I believe the keypads were blue on one side and red on the other. I had to google search it and I can’t find it.

• bfunk1978 - Jan 15, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Is this it?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Hell yea! I remember that one! That game was the bomb!

• chill1184 - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I spent so many quarters in that game.

• moogro - Jan 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM

So many of Williams’ machines are pure design genius.

19. xdj511 - Jan 15, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I was partial to Super Bases Loaded myself, even though there were no real teams or players involved.

20. adross47 - Jan 15, 2014 at 10:27 AM

8 minute mark of the video has Fernando Valenzuela hitting an in the park homer on a bunt

21. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Incorrect sir. Basewars was the best baseball game. Also Baseball Simulator 1.000. That is all.

• Reflex - Jan 15, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Baseball Simulator 1.000 was my all time fav, both on NES and SNES(which had virtually no upgrades beyond fewer slowdowns). Baseball Stars was a close second for me.

22. sandwiches4ever - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM