The Bud Selig farewell tour may be coming to a ballpark near you

Jan 14, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

MLB Commissioner Bud Selig speaks during a news conference in New York Reuters

Bud Selig is retiring after the 2014 season and he tells Jayson Stark of ESPN that he has an idea: he wants to visit all 30 parks to say goodbye — and thank you — to behind the scenes folks and people like that:

“I want to talk to season-ticket holders and fans,” he said. “I’ve got a lot of people to thank.”

That idea came about, he said, in part because several clubs reached out to him after his announcement and asked to honor him, but also because [Mariano] Rivera’s farewell tour got Selig to thinking about ways to connect with people who love baseball.

“I like that,” Selig said. “I like talking to people. And … that’s what I want to do: [speak to] season-ticket holders, people who work at ballparks. I just like to walk around and talk to people. I love that. I did that when I ran the Brewers. And I enjoyed it. I miss that.

If it’s for him and it’s truly about thanking people that’d be pretty great. If it turns into teams giving him gifts and things in ceremonies I imagine it’ll grow a bit tiresome pretty quickly. And I imagine it might backfire.

Why? Because while it’s hard to argue that Selig hasn’t been an effective commissioner, being an effective commissioner is a narrow thing. He’s made money for owners and made the game successful, that cannot be denied. But I feel like the average fan still probably has scorn for Selig, justified or not. Maybe they hate interleague play. Maybe they still hold the 1994-95 strike against him. Maybe they have any number of beefs. Whether it’s his fault or not, people would probably use the opportunity to boo him or something because as Commissioner he’s, by definition, a lightning rod.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

1. yahmule - Jan 14, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Shameless old bastard, isn’t he?

2. disgracedfury - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Bud Selig witch-hunt has worked and now he looks like the hero over the steroid era…even though he created this era.

• paperlions - Jan 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Hating Bud is really fun, but the steroid era lasted about 50 years, starting in the 50s and being in full swing by the 1960s. He didn’t create it any more than anyone else in baseball, he just made the same amount of effort to stop it as anyone else in baseball….until records started to be broken, even though those records fell for different reasons.

3. notsofast10 - Jan 14, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Enjoy it while you can Bud, soon entire world will find out that Baseball under your watch has twice as much PED use than cycling and will be pronounced the dirtiest days of baseball. Nice testing system….. the drug experts are beating the tests like childs play and that is your legacy.

4. anxovies - Jan 15, 2014 at 1:14 AM

I guess after the 30 days are up he goes back to leasing cars in the Far North, where he belongs.

5. stex52 - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:23 AM

He might want to keep the trip to Houston brief and mostly anonymous. He has seemed to use the Astros as his personal whipping boys for a long time in league rulings. On an individual level, I am glad to see him go. I hope he goes far away. Am I optimistic that the next Commissioner will be less a tool of the owner? No. But perhaps he won’t have so much of a vested interest in screwing Houston.

6. steelersnowand4ever - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I used to be a hardcore baseball fan. But under the “watch” of Bud Selig I lost interest in baseball all together for about 20 years. To me, the kicker was the World Series fiasco (cencellation). The man is the 2nd most incompetent commissioner in sports behind Godell, and I think the best tribute youcould give him on the “farewell tour” is boycotting the games that he attends!

• jeffbbf - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:58 AM

which is why you’re spending your time on a baseball blog.

7. yordo - Jan 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Be careful while talking to random fans, Bud. A-Rod’s thugs are all over the country. Come at me, bro.

8. 1houstonhs - Jan 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM

He damned well better not come to Houston. The bastard already screwed us. Tell him to go screw someone else!!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3860)