Jan 14, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Bud Selig is retiring after the 2014 season and he tells Jayson Stark of ESPN that he has an idea: he wants to visit all 30 parks to say goodbye — and thank you — to behind the scenes folks and people like that:
“I want to talk to season-ticket holders and fans,” he said. “I’ve got a lot of people to thank.”
That idea came about, he said, in part because several clubs reached out to him after his announcement and asked to honor him, but also because [Mariano] Rivera’s farewell tour got Selig to thinking about ways to connect with people who love baseball.
“I like that,” Selig said. “I like talking to people. And … that’s what I want to do: [speak to] season-ticket holders, people who work at ballparks. I just like to walk around and talk to people. I love that. I did that when I ran the Brewers. And I enjoyed it. I miss that.
If it’s for him and it’s truly about thanking people that’d be pretty great. If it turns into teams giving him gifts and things in ceremonies I imagine it’ll grow a bit tiresome pretty quickly. And I imagine it might backfire.
Why? Because while it’s hard to argue that Selig hasn’t been an effective commissioner, being an effective commissioner is a narrow thing. He’s made money for owners and made the game successful, that cannot be denied. But I feel like the average fan still probably has scorn for Selig, justified or not. Maybe they hate interleague play. Maybe they still hold the 1994-95 strike against him. Maybe they have any number of beefs. Whether it’s his fault or not, people would probably use the opportunity to boo him or something because as Commissioner he’s, by definition, a lightning rod.
It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20