Jan 15, 2014, 1:33 PM EST
As expected Charlie Manuel is staying in the Phillies organization after being let go as manager, with Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reporting that he’s accepted a position as a “senior advisor to the general manager.”
Manuel had hoped to land another manager gig, but at age 70 that might be a tough sell despite the 780-636 (.551) record he compiled in nine seasons with the Phillies. Instead he’ll lend his expertise to Ruben Amaro Jr., who’s never let age get in the way of employing anyone.
Also, never forget: Charlie Manuel was a snake-fighting playboy.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)