Jan 15, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Coghlan hit just .224 with seven homers and a .622 OPS in 174 games during the past three seasons, struggling to find playing time for the lowly Marlins. He’s still only 29 years old and put up some decent numbers at Triple-A in 2012, but Coghlan will have to compete for a bench gig in Chicago.
And if he doesn’t get the job, Sherman reports that Coghlan can opt out of the contract on June 15.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)