Cubs sign Chris Coghlan

Jan 15, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

Chris Coghlan AP

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Cubs have signed former Rookie of the Year winner Chris Coghlan to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Coghlan hit just .224 with seven homers and a .622 OPS in 174 games during the past three seasons, struggling to find playing time for the lowly Marlins. He’s still only 29 years old and put up some decent numbers at Triple-A in 2012, but Coghlan will have to compete for a bench gig in Chicago.

And if he doesn’t get the job, Sherman reports that Coghlan can opt out of the contract on June 15.

1. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Coghlan was the victim of some really weird injuries with the Feesh, including knee tendons torn while hitting someone with a pie. He always seemed like a good, quiet, hardworking kid. I hope he finds his way back to viability, and wish him the best on his escape from Scrooge McLoria’s stately pleasure dome.

• kruegere - Jan 15, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Went to high school with him, I can vouch that he’s a good guy. First person around my age I ever saw hit a home run in Little League.

2. nymets4ever - Jan 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM

He was a hit machine back in ’09.

3. doctorofsmuganomics - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Something something blue jays.

4. bobb12901 - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM

hope the cubs can really make a run this year and win it all to justify them having to play. I don’t want to see all the central teams beat up on them to get wins and make them seem so good, as the cubs move to better their standing with America the red sox finally did it and white sox so the cubbies are the only ones left that need a series.

5. reddirtdad - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM

As a Cards fan, I sincerely hope the Cubs better themselves. It used to be lots of fun-exciting for the two central rivals to go at it. The past two years, or so have been really sad, unexciting. Legs get some competition going again!
    Of course I want the Cards to win, but let’s make it interesting.
    Besides, my wife is from the north side of Chicago. I like to try to keep her happy.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto