Jan 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
There is always a lot of “avoided arbitration” news around this time, so enjoy the exciting news.
Per Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers and reliever Neal Cotts avoided arbitration on a one-year deal worth $2.2 million. Cotts, soon to be 34, had a fantastic 2013 season, his first in the big leagues since 2009. He finished up the year with a 1.11 ERA in 57 innings, averaging well over a strikeout per inning and 3.6 strikeouts for every one walk.
The Red Sox and reliever Burke Badenhop agreed to a one-year non-guaranteed contract, the Red Sox reported. WEEI’s Alex Speier says Badenhop’s non-guaranteed salary is $2.15 million. Badenhop turns 31 on February 8 and is coming off of a solid 2013 campaign with the Brewers. In 62 1/3 innings out of the bullpen, the right-hander posted a 3.47 ERA with a 3.5 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Finally, Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that the Rockies and Franklin Morales agreed to a one-year deal. Troy Renck of the Denver Post adds that Morales will earn $1,712,500. The Rockies recently acquired Morales, soon to be 28, from the Red Sox for infielder Jonathan Herrera. In 25 1/3 innings with the Red Sox last season, Morales posted a 4.62 ERA with a high walk rate (13 unintentional).
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)