Jan 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
There is always a lot of “avoided arbitration” news around this time, so enjoy the exciting news.
Per Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers and reliever Neal Cotts avoided arbitration on a one-year deal worth $2.2 million. Cotts, soon to be 34, had a fantastic 2013 season, his first in the big leagues since 2009. He finished up the year with a 1.11 ERA in 57 innings, averaging well over a strikeout per inning and 3.6 strikeouts for every one walk.
The Red Sox and reliever Burke Badenhop agreed to a one-year non-guaranteed contract, the Red Sox reported. WEEI’s Alex Speier says Badenhop’s non-guaranteed salary is $2.15 million. Badenhop turns 31 on February 8 and is coming off of a solid 2013 campaign with the Brewers. In 62 1/3 innings out of the bullpen, the right-hander posted a 3.47 ERA with a 3.5 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
Finally, Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that the Rockies and Franklin Morales agreed to a one-year deal. Troy Renck of the Denver Post adds that Morales will earn $1,712,500. The Rockies recently acquired Morales, soon to be 28, from the Red Sox for infielder Jonathan Herrera. In 25 1/3 innings with the Red Sox last season, Morales posted a 4.62 ERA with a high walk rate (13 unintentional).
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)