Orioles sign Alfredo Aceves

Jan 15, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT

Alfredo Aceves AP

Alfredo Aceves is staying in the American League East–or at trying to–by signing a minor-league contract with the Orioles, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.

Aceves spent most of last season at Triple-A, appearing in just 11 games for the Red Sox at age 30, and posted a combined 5.21 ERA in 121 innings for Boston between 2012 and 2013.

He’ll try to win a bullpen job and Bob Nightengale of USA Today says Aceves’ deal would be worth $1.2 million in upfront money if he makes the Opening Day roster out of spring training.

Perhaps most importantly: There is a very real possibility that Alfredo Aceves and Delmon Young will be teammates this season, either on the Orioles or at Triple-A. Imagine the possibilities.

1. themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Wait, what? Delmon Young AND this nutjob? Well this can’t possibly go wrong…

2. jss1330 - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Come on Dan, sign Elijah

3. xdj511 - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM

A lot of my friends are Orioles fans… and I was just laughing at them about this!

4. twenty1miles - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Yeesh. My condolences, Orioles fans.

5. Caught Looking - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Izzy Alcántara is available.

6. @Cereal_22 - Jan 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Nasty stuff, excellent minor league signing

7. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Fitting picture. I was doing the same after hearing this news.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM

What kind of baboon is running your rooting interest? I wonder what’s next? Bobby Valentine for bat boy?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:38 PM

They tried to hire Bobby Valentine before Boston did. He turned down the job and they signed Buck Showalter instead.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 15, 2014 at 8:46 PM

wow. didn’t know that. Yeah. Baboons.

8. rockthered1286 - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM

If you rearrange Peter Angelos you get Agent Leer POS. I rest my case. Now where’s my helmet…

9. dylanthom2013 - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Apprently even he’s disgusted that the O’s signed him.

10. slaugin - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Finally the Os are making moves… The keep this up and Chris Davis is a lock to stick with Baltimore

11. pisano - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM

People may laugh at this, but this guy can pitch. his troubles started with Boston, he was a model citizen with the Yankees, they used him consistently, and he always took the ball without any problems. I don’t understand what wrong for him in Boston, but his career was put on the back burner. If he doesn’t make it out of spring training, they get rid of him, but I think this guy will bounce back, I always liked him when he was with the Yankees.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM

What was wrong with him in Boston? Two words: Bobby Valentine. He couldn’t stand that weasel. His latent nuttiness got the better of him around Bobby. we can but wonder what will happen with him in close proximity to Delmon Young.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

He was a giant knob to John Farrell which is how he ended up banished.

• pisano - Jan 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM

One hell of a good point, if he’s smart he should tell Delmon ” No Habla “

• rje49 - Jan 15, 2014 at 6:10 PM

He did have very good games, even with the Red Sox. But then he had very bad games, too. You never knew which Alfredo you’d get.

12. 18thstreet - Jan 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Seems like a bad match for that manager.

• bigharold - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Not so. Shoewalter is a far better leader than Valentine, (he’ll me 11 year old son is a better leader than Valentine), and he already had a reputation in Boston by the time Farrell showed up so who knows. But, as was pointed out he was a model citizen in the Bronx, he knows how to pitch because he doesn’t have overpowering stuff. If they avoid trying to make him a starter he should be fine.

• Glenn - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:36 PM

The Yankees let him go for a reason. Farrell gave him a chance and kept him around (in the organization) all year, but he never pitched well in 2013 at any level. If you are going to be an a-hole, you better perform. He didn’t last year. I would not be surprised if he bounces back, but Showalter won’t be taking any crap unless he is tip-top.

• 18thstreet - Jan 16, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I don’t think he was a model citizen in the Bronx, not that I was there. I look at his numbers in New York and then the fact that he was cut, and I imagine that the team just didn’t want to put up with him. It’s hard to understand why he was let go unless it was for his personality. Just a hunch, though.

13. plmathfoto - Jan 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Hey Jordanny Valdespin may be available, I know the Marlins signed him, but he just pulled another fit after being pinch hit for in winter ball.

14. bunkerhillbob - Jan 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM

A very talented pitcher and could help a lot, if he falls in line with Showalter’s program.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3409)