Jan 15, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
Colvin, 28, spent the last two seasons with the Rockies. He hit well in 2012, finishing with an .858 OPS in 452 plate appearances, but suffered a collapsed lung near the end of the season. He started 2013 with Triple-A Colorado Springs, posting a .914 OPS before earning a call back up to the big leagues. He struggled, however, posting a .472 OPS between June 8 and July 9. The Rockies sent him back down to Triple-A but the struggles continued and he eventually went on the shelf due to a disc injury in his back. The Rockies outrighted him in September, and he elected free agency in October.
If he can stay healthy, he can be a useful left-handed hitter for the Orioles. He displayed a good amount of power in 2010 with the Cubs and 2012 with the Rockies, hitting 20 and 18 home runs, respectively. Colvin will be in for a tough competition, however. Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun counts 12 outfielders that will be in camp with the Orioles for spring training. They include Delmon Young, Francisco Peguero, Xavier Paul, David Lough, and Quintin Berry.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)