Jan 15, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Colvin, 28, spent the last two seasons with the Rockies. He hit well in 2012, finishing with an .858 OPS in 452 plate appearances, but suffered a collapsed lung near the end of the season. He started 2013 with Triple-A Colorado Springs, posting a .914 OPS before earning a call back up to the big leagues. He struggled, however, posting a .472 OPS between June 8 and July 9. The Rockies sent him back down to Triple-A but the struggles continued and he eventually went on the shelf due to a disc injury in his back. The Rockies outrighted him in September, and he elected free agency in October.
If he can stay healthy, he can be a useful left-handed hitter for the Orioles. He displayed a good amount of power in 2010 with the Cubs and 2012 with the Rockies, hitting 20 and 18 home runs, respectively. Colvin will be in for a tough competition, however. Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun counts 12 outfielders that will be in camp with the Orioles for spring training. They include Delmon Young, Francisco Peguero, Xavier Paul, David Lough, and Quintin Berry.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)