Jan 15, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish is reporting that the Royals have signed free agent starter Brad Penny to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Penny will be one of eight pitchers invited to big league camp with the Royals.
After a disappointing 2012 season, in which he posted a 6.11 ERA pitching out of the bullpen with the Giants, Penny took a year off from baseball. According to Cotillo, the 35-year-old right-hander impressed scouts enough to merit a minor league deal. He’ll be working as a starter, but could once again pitch in as a reliever if the Royals deem it necessary.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59