Jan 15, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish is reporting that the Royals have signed free agent starter Brad Penny to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Penny will be one of eight pitchers invited to big league camp with the Royals.
After a disappointing 2012 season, in which he posted a 6.11 ERA pitching out of the bullpen with the Giants, Penny took a year off from baseball. According to Cotillo, the 35-year-old right-hander impressed scouts enough to merit a minor league deal. He’ll be working as a starter, but could once again pitch in as a reliever if the Royals deem it necessary.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 3
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)