Jan 15, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish is reporting that the Royals have signed free agent starter Brad Penny to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Penny will be one of eight pitchers invited to big league camp with the Royals.
After a disappointing 2012 season, in which he posted a 6.11 ERA pitching out of the bullpen with the Giants, Penny took a year off from baseball. According to Cotillo, the 35-year-old right-hander impressed scouts enough to merit a minor league deal. He’ll be working as a starter, but could once again pitch in as a reliever if the Royals deem it necessary.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)