White Sox’s first impression of Jose Abreu: “That’s a big man”

Jan 15, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

jose abreu getty Getty Images

Cuban slugger Jose Abreu participated in the White Sox’s mini-hitter camp yesterday and after watching the $68 million man in person for the first time hitting coach Todd Steverson was pretty excited:

That’s a strong man right here. That’s a big man. He has a nice smooth, compact approach. He didn’t try to do too much with the ball and the ball was flying off his bat.

Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com also passed along this quote about Abreu from general manager Rick Hahn:

We try to keep in mind that it’s Jan. 14 and we still have a ways to go, but just watching Jose go through his work, you saw that professionalism as well as the plus-plus power on display today in only his first couple of rounds of BP. He’s a very serious hitter. He’s one who goes up there with a plan and has a great deal of ability and it’s going to be fun to see how this plays out over the next couple of years.

Hayes writes that Hahn “couldn’t contain his enthusiasm after he watched Abreu’s first action in a White Sox uniform.” (Not literally, I hope.)

1. unclemosesgreen - Jan 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Like … Greg Maddux on the mound excited?

• karlkolchak - Jan 15, 2014 at 10:47 AM

“couldn’t contain his enthusiasm”

Pants split right open.

• Jeremy T - Jan 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Is it weird that that’s the first thing I thought of, too? I’m pretty sure that’s weird…

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Nothing weird about a couple of straight guys thinking about Greg Maddux’s boner.

Oh – Now I’m feeling the strangeness.

2. Old Gator - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I feel a contained enthusiasm (not difficult at my age) about Abreu and I’m really looking forward to watching him adjust to MLB pitching. I might even bother to watch the home run derby this coming season.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3409)